Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 70 Years of Trains Magazine on DVD-ROM - Any Good?

Date: 11/03/15 03:30
70 Years of Trains Magazine on DVD-ROM - Any Good?
Author: JoeBlow

Is the 70 Years of Trains Magazine on DVD-ROM any good?

Was was the journalistic format the same in the 1940s and 50s or did it change over time?

I am interested in articles about railroads and related topics that existed before the 1980s.

Thanks,

PS: I also posted this in the Eastern Forum.

Date: 11/03/15 04:04
Re: 70 Years of Trains Magazine on DVD-ROM - Any Good?
Author: bobwilcox

I bought the product when it first came out.  It was clunky with a poor search function.  However, one day Apple updated their operating system and I couldn't access the Trains DVD.  Trains response - tough, we won't support the Apple OS any longer.  Of course, there was no refund.  

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 11/03/15 07:40
Author: yarrow

i got mine a couple years ago.  i enjoy it a lot.  am up to 1977.  a lot of great writing, great photos.  search function not great(or maybe a don't know how to use it).  very highly recommended

Date: 11/03/15 07:57
Author: CPR_4000

bobwilcox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> one day Apple updated their operating system and I
> couldn't access the Trains DVD.  

IIRC the files are nothing but pdf's (and not very high resolution). How can you not open them? Or are you saying the (lame) search function no longer works?

Date: 11/03/15 08:54
Author: PrairieRailfan

I am getting a message that "This application requires an Xtra (INM Expressario2pages...) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly.  Please make sure that the Xtras are in the appropriate Xtra folder(s)."

I just discovered this (which may give an idea of how often I look thru the archive) and have not had a chance to see if there is a patch.  Technically I'd say that this is Apple's fault since it worked just fine until the latest upgrade, and from experience I can tell you that Apple does not care since nothing is ever their fault.

Date: 11/03/15 09:03
Author: bobwilcox

Ask Kalmbach, I'm just relaying what they told me after I found it would not open.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 11/03/15 09:17
Author: Lackawanna484

I asked about the Kalmbach DVD a few years ago, and was told that it wasn't supported under the (then) new Apple protocols and might not be supported under Windows 10.  Apparently Kalmbach made the DVD to the then current standards, but hasn't updated it in a decade.

That can happen when people are concerned that their work might be copied, or inappropriately accessed. They build a security wall using the current (1988, 2008 whatever) standards. And never patch for current versions.  I have a DVD set of every issue of The New Yorker back to 1925.  Eight disks with their own 1991 protocols.  And, I have an ancient MS-DOS computer, no longer hooked to the internet, dedicated just to viewing those disks. Never been updated beyond 1998 or so.

Date: 11/03/15 09:29
Author: Chazcop

I bought the ($150) 70 years of Trains DVD.  It was discounted back then $10-20 at Wig-Wag Trains (I guess you have to email for the price).  I have not seem it on eBay.

I also got the $80 '15 years of Classic Trains' DVD (Actually I bought the 1st edition (10 years) then this year the 2nd edition (15 years):  The 2nd edition was offered before publication for $25 off for buyers of the first).

The Trains & Classic DVD's are both great but as someone posted here they're 'clunky' --even on a PC!   What's maddening is that Kalmback hasn't figured out a way for us to view them on mobile!  I mean I almost refuse to do leisure reading on a PC/laptop any more.  If you'r a reaearcher great but not a casural reader.

The DVD is installed on your PC as a DRM'd program. (an .exe)  To read on my iPad I can use 'Splashtop' (installed on both my PC and iPad)..  It allows me to see anything open on my PC then from my tablet   I can then manipulate the various issues of Trains etc from my iPad.  But it's still clunky and takes time to master the different moves.  (Some of you may have other suggestions! than Spashtop?). 

I oince saw several years of Trains (stripped from the DVD I presume?) on Usenet   I'm relatively savvy about that stuff but not about removing the seemingly specialized DRM-DVD format used here so I can read my paid for mags in bed!.    

Chaz

PS: I do keep an Official Guide or 2 on my iPad (in Google Play Books...a number are avail free) .  No DRM there but somewhat slow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/15 09:48 by Chazcop.

Date: 11/03/15 09:46
Author: CPR_4000

That's one nice thing about legacy media . . . you just put it on your lap, sit in your favorite chair, and read it! OTOH, storing it takes up so much room . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/15 10:30 by CPR_4000.

Date: 11/03/15 10:26
Author: kevink

Perhaps it's because I have little leisure time of my own these days with two kids in school, but I bet I have not opened my Trains DVD program more than once or twice in the past year. Guess I should check with the new Win10 system I just set up, but I'm honestly not worried about whether it works or not.

And all those magazines I kept in the basement and so rarely looked through? They've gone to the great recycling bin in the sky.

Date: 11/03/15 10:32
Author: JamesSchlinger

A lot of positive feedback in response to this question, except for the Apple and mobile issues, so I thought I would add my opinion since it differs. I got it when it first came out. In my opinion, it was a complete waste of money. It is virtually impossible to find anything with the search function, except a ton of advertisements. I have come across multiple errors in the scans (i.e. pages missing and/or where they shouldn't be). The program is clunky and a royal pain to use. I stopped using it within weeks of owning it as the frustration of trying to find items of interest far outweighed any enjoyment of the product.

The only valuable use I could see is looking through specific issues and/or reading those issues cover to cover. But at that point, you may as well just go on ebay or amazon and buy someone's copy of the physical issue that interests you. Bottom line is that I think it was an awesome idea that was horribly executed. I wouldn't waste any money on it, but that's just my personal opinion. 

JoeBlow Wrote:
> Is the 70 Years of Trains Magazine on DVD-ROM any
> good?
>
> Was was the journalistic format the same in the
> 1940s and 50s or did it change over time?
>
> I am interested in articles about railroads and
> related topics that existed before the 1980s.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> PS: I also posted this in the Eastern Forum.

Date: 11/03/15 14:33
Author: NDHolmes

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> IIRC the files are nothing but pdf's (and not very
> high resolution). How can you not open them? Or
> are you saying the (lame) search function no
> longer works?

They're some sort of DRM-protected PDF.  Whatever they used is technically fragile (I've had it stop working a few times, and uninstalling/reinstalling is about the only thing that fixes it) and good luck making use of their files anywhere but Windows.  Personally, I wouldn't spend the money again.  I'd hold onto the paper, which works everywhere, every time, and wait until they come up with something a little more future-proof with better cross-platform portability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/15 14:35 by NDHolmes.

Date: 11/03/15 18:10
Author: jofegan

The DVD was a nice opportunity to look at old issues from before I became a Trains subscriber.

The PDF's are only accessible through the program - they cannot be opened up individually due to pasword protection, which is a drag as that limits the platforms they can be viewed on.  The protection looks like it would be difficult to crack.  That limitation alone makes the DVD less worthwhile.

I would love to be able to read them on my iPad, but no-go.

-j

Date: 11/03/15 22:54
Author: walstib

As a loyal Apple user since 1991, I have one thing to say to Kalambach: Screw you.

If they want to make their products available as an e-book that I can purchase in the iTunes Store or on Amazon in a format that works on an iPad, then I will gladly give them my money. There is no way I will ever buy another CD or DVD from them.

Same goes for their videos.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/04/15 06:44
Author: prrmpup

When this first came out, I asked about viewing on iPad and they said cannot do. 
Interesting tip on splash top, had not tried this .
given the comments here, think I will still pass. If I can't read on iPad I am really not interested. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0684 seconds