Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > the monster in the canyon

Date: 11/24/15 13:59
the monster in the canyon
Author: goneon66

i caught this 3x112x2x92x2 (approx.) e/b monster stack in kingman canyon today on the bnsf's seligman sub.  warning, shot from a monopod with some wind noise in less than perfect lighting conditions.  other than that, enjoy..........

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/24/15 14:21
Re: the monster in the canyon
Author: exhaustED

Nice video, that thing was a monster! I'd like to get a shot or video of one of these at Ludlow or Ash Hill. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/15 14:45 by exhaustED.

Date: 11/24/15 14:40
Author: gonx

Great video.

Looks like it was doing pretty well speed wise for a monster. I've seen many eb crawl through Kingman due to lack of hp per train.

Date: 11/24/15 15:29
Author: Chooch

What was the total length of the train?

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jim
Hatboro, PA​

Date: 11/24/15 15:47
Author: syscom3

Let me critique you and offer some adice .....

Date: 11/24/15 15:51

syscom3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let me critique you and offer some adice .....

feel free.......

Date: 11/24/15 16:53
Author: cchan006

syscom3 Wrote:
> Let me critique you and offer some adice .....

Hehe. I know there's a smiley in there somewhere...

Nice to see that you (goneon66) composed the Pumpkins with the Santa Fe bridge. Wish the railroad rewarded you with some Warbonnets, or pool power. Thanks for showing the entire train, and no need for time lapse to make it all fit within 6 minutes.

Interesting to see a segment of single-stacked container towards the rear of the train.

Date: 11/24/15 18:03
Author: Dewman45

7 eng. 200 cars

Date: 11/24/15 19:36
Author: Out_Of_Service

Dewman45 Wrote:
> 7 eng. 200 cars

? for the crews of DPUs ... do the engineers get powered axle pay or total online hp pay ??? ... and do the cndrs get total axle pay ??? ... i know my pop who was a cndr told me that's the way it was setup where he worked from the 40's to 80s when he retired ...

Date: 11/24/15 23:18
Author: JimBaker

At last a video that has run straight through on my Kindle Fire (original) tablet. I have been running. into errors and format failures which stall videos.

Is there anything I need to get, such as an app. or sometihing to allow videos to play through.

Thanks for listening.

-Jim Baker

Date: 11/25/15 01:55
Author: cchan006

JimBaker Wrote:
> At last a video that has run straight through on
> my Kindle Fire (original) tablet. I have been
> running. into errors and format failures which
> stall videos.
>
> Is there anything I need to get, such as an app.
> or sometihing to allow videos to play through.
>
> Thanks for listening.
>
> -Jim Baker

You might want to bring it up in the Railfan Technology board, but here are some tidbits for you. This video was uploaded at 1280x720, or 720p (vertical pixels). Bandwidth is at 3.5 Mbps so within reason for viewing on TO. Some of the videos that might have caused problems for you might have been uploaded at higher resolution at 1980x1080. Even if the size of the video being viewed is smaller, TO's video player is still trying to process the entire 1980x1080 on the fly, so it might cause problems on devices with slow CPU and/or video cards/drivers. I don't think the Kindle is known for blazing video performance.

Most video acceleration is done in hardware, so my advice is to NOT bother looking for any apps to improve the video on your Kindle. One trick is to download the video, and let the native player on your device play it back. You have the option to shrink the video, if it still causes stalls, but that only helps a little bit.

Date: 11/25/15 07:58
Author: ntharalson

Nice video, thanks for posting.  

I have two questions.  I caught one of these monsters at Willard, NM, in 2009, and am wondering 
what the crews think about running them, besides the long walk if there's a problem.  (And there are
always problems.)

Second: Is that equipment box shown a defect detector?  I don't see a signal nearby and am wondering
what it's there for.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 11/25/15 08:50

at approx. 28 seconds into the video the train passes a bi-directional intermediate signal on the engineers side.  there could also be a flange greaser up there too.........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds