Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF tressel with wind guard

Date: 11/26/15 18:36
BNSF tressel with wind guard
Author: bnsf70mac

I thought that BNSF had a high tressel up in Montana with a wind guard on the north side. Can any tell me where exactly where it is at.

Thanks.

Mike

Date: 11/26/15 18:41
Re: BNSF tressel with wind guard
Author: czephyr17

The Midvale trestle, just railroad west of Glacier Park Station.  Protects trains from very strong west winds that often come down off the mountain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/15 18:44 by czephyr17.

Date: 11/26/15 20:27
Author: railstiesballast

Taken from Highway 2 in June, 2014.
There are also wind fences at places on fills further east, near Browning.
Look at the far side of the piers; there are extra vertical members to support the fence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/15 20:30 by railstiesballast.

Date: 11/26/15 22:00
Author: Clitherall

I worked on a Montana DOT highway project on US Hwy 2 in Browning in 1995 that included two BNSF overpasses. The east slope of the continental divide in this area has routine winds approaching 100 MPH. We understood there was an wind speed indicator mounted on the Browning depot directly wired to Fort Worth /dispatch. Sheetpile and H-pile with lagging wind walls were subsequently installed on fills in this area as indicated in the post above.
I understand the largest 24 hour temperature drop in the US was in Browning in Jan 1916 where the temp went from plus 44 F to minus 56 F, 100 degree drop. The largest 24 hour temperature change in the world was in Loma, MT in 1972 from minus 54F to plus 49F, a 103F Degree rise; Cutbank rose 100F in the same event.
In addition to the winds, all other equipment must accomodate these dramatic temperature fluctuations.

Jeff Stabnow
Clitherall MN 

Date: 11/27/15 00:05
Author: Odyssey

Amazing temperature swings ... I live along the Front Range in Colorado and we do get wild swings in wind velocities when the downslope west winds happen, but wow 100+ temperature swings along with the winds in Montana ... that is truly a record that would be tough to beat.  Thank you for the post!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 11/28/15 18:25
Author: bnsf70mac

Thanks to everyone for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0284 seconds