Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > HU BNSF SD70MACE's E/B

Date: 02/03/16 12:44
HU BNSF SD70MACE's E/B
Author: NWRailfan

Just a heads up to everyone that five newly rebuilt BNSF SD70MACE units from Progress Rail Tacoma were spotted on M SEAPAS out of Seattle headed for Pasco and eventually to Progress Rail Mayfield for truck work and paint. Units are  9721, 9730, 9736, 9746 and 9748 and are for now still in Greinstein paint. This is the whole fleet of MACE units minus one unit currently, 9728 already completed and painted so get these in transit while they are still green and cream. The SD70MACE project replaces the old orphaned Seimens electrical gear with newer Mitsubishi gear found in the 70ACe line. Minor carbody changes were done, new traction control system upgrade and newer computer screens were added. 

Date: 02/03/16 15:23
Re: HU BNSF SD70MACE's E/B
Author: cpn456

Certainly not complaining (more like yipee!) that BNSF is getting older EMD power rebuilt, but curious why they are doing it to the SD70MAC's, even though they seemed to have hated the former ATSF SD70M/I's?  The fact that the former BN units are already AC powered doesn't seem enough of a reason considering they could AC power the former ATSF units as well (similar to what they are doing to the former ATSF Dash944W's that they are currently doing).

Date: 02/03/16 15:23
Author: mojaveflyer

Did they change out the control desk for a control stand?

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 02/03/16 19:21
Author: handsignals

cpn456 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Certainly not complaining (more like yipee!) that
> BNSF is getting older EMD power rebuilt, but
> curious why they are doing it to the SD70MAC's,
> even though they seemed to have hated the former
> ATSF SD70M/I's? 

I agree.  Love to have some variety, and think it's great they are being rebuilt.  Was happy the GP60Ms were being rebuilt as well.

I think it all has to do with ownership vs. leasing.  I'm not an expert at all, but I believe BNSF owns all of the SD70MACs, and the SD75Ms are leased.  Not sure about the SD75I's, but even if they are owned there are only 50 vs. a fleet of roughly 800 MACs.  And BNSF has a good core fleet of DC power.

Date: 02/03/16 19:30
Author: alamode

cpn456 Wrote:
> why they are doing it to the SD70MAC's,
> even though they seemed to have hated the former
> ATSF SD70M/I's?

Because Siemens parts are difficult/impossible to obtain.

Date: 02/03/16 21:26
Author: cpn456

alamode Wrote:
> cpn456 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > why they are doing it to the SD70MAC's,
> > even though they seemed to have hated the
> former
> > ATSF SD70M/I's?
>
> Because Siemens parts are difficult/impossible to
> obtain.

And those Siemens parts are on the former BN SD70MAC's?  I suppose I'd think that the BNSF would be just getting rid of the SD70MAC's if that were the only case?  However, the ownership thing would be a logical answer; it would surprise me in this day and age that they would actually own outright the MAC's, pretty unusual for big "relatively" new power...

One things for sure, certainly doesn't seem like they could go wrong with this - rebuilding a very good locomotive.

Date: 02/05/16 09:16
Author: dantat13

Hello TO members,
Would there happen to be a car number for this train by chance?
- Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1672 seconds