Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Georgia Pacific Donates A Very Historic Locomotive in Toledo, Ore

Date: 02/08/16 09:25
Georgia Pacific Donates A Very Historic Locomotive in Toledo, Ore
Author: LoggerHogger

This is good news on the donation of this historic locomotive.

Martin

Georgia-Pacific locomotive added to railroad museum’s collection; dedication ceremony to be held Feb. 20

TOLEDO, Oregon – The Yaquina Pacific Railroad Historical Society (YPRHS) will dedicate the latest addition to its rolling stock collection at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 20, at the museum in Toledo, Oregon.

The retired 45-ton, center-cab locomotive (pictured at left), aptly if not imaginatively nicknamed the “45-Tonner,” is a gift from the Georgia-Pacific (GP) mill in Toledo. It was used there in support of lumber and containerboard operations for most of its 60-year working life. It originally was purchased by the C.D. Johnson Lumber Co. in 1951, prior to selling its Toledo operations to GP the following year.

“Adding the 45-Tonner to our collection is a major step, since it means we will have the Alpha and Omega of historic railroad locomotives that worked in this area,” said YPRHS President Ralph Grutzmacher. “We are deeply grateful to Georgia-Pacific for deciding to make our museum the permanent final home for the engine; we’re hoping to turn it into an interactive and interpretive display for thousands of visitors each year.”

The locomotive was retired due to age and has since been replaced. GP agreed last year to donate it to YPRHS with an estimated in-kind value of $40,000.

“We are honored to support the preservation of our region’s vibrant history and industrial heritage,” said James McClure, vice president and general manager of GP-Toledo. “This locomotive literally is a piece of the past and we’re pleased it will remain in Toledo. We are grateful to YPRHS for making it available to the public.”

The YPRHS Toledo museum already houses “One-Spot,” a large steam locomotive built for the C.D. Johnson Lumber Co. in 1922 and the company’s first. The 45-Tonner was the last and only diesel engine purchased by C.D. Johnson, and except for a short period in the 1960s, was used exclusively by GP-Toledo to move railroad chip cars into position for dumping their loads onto a large conveyor. Wood chips and recycled cardboard are used by GP-Toledo to make containerboard, the layers of cardboard boxes.

The YPRHS collection also includes one of very few restored railroad post office and baggage cars, the oldest wooden caboose in the Pacific Northwest and vintage boxcars, along with speeder cars, smaller historic railroad implements and a research library.

The public is invited to the dedication ceremony and light refreshments will be offered. YPRHS is located at 100 NW A Street, Toledo (next to the post office).

###

To learn more about the Yaquina Pacific Railroad Historical Society, visit www.yaquinapacificrr.org. Learn more about Georgia-Pacific at www.gp.com.

Date: 02/08/16 10:18
Re: Georgia Pacific Donates A Very Historic Locomotive in Toledo,
Author: callum_out

Estimated value of $40,000? Yah and I'm gonna take my $250 wool shirt down to donate to
Goodwill!! Still, nice to see it preserved.

Out

Date: 02/08/16 10:18
Author: TCnR

Was able to visit the area last spring for the first time, very enthusiastic Museum. GP was very hospitable and seems to be very civic minded. Not to mention the Oregon coast, Newport seems like a great tourist area.

Date: 02/08/16 12:17
Author: funnelfan

$40,000 is about right for a operating locomotive in good condition of that type. SW1500's will fetch up to around $150~200K

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Estimated value of $40,000? Yah and I'm gonna take
> my $250 wool shirt down to donate to
> Goodwill!! Still, nice to see it preserved.
>
> Out

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/08/16 12:43
Author: partsguy

Mr. funnelfan is correct regarding current pricing......

Date: 02/08/16 13:09
Author: OregonOldGuy

Did they actually repaint her for the museum???  She didn't look that good last time I saw her!  Showns 5-15-15.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 13:12 by OregonOldGuy.

Date: 02/08/16 13:25
Author: callum_out

$20-25K will buy a similar locomotive, that thing is about as close to an SW-1500 as I am to flying.
Most companies would look to a bought or leased Trackmobile long before buying such a wonderful
antique.

Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 13:26 by callum_out.

Date: 02/08/16 13:48
Author: EMDSW-1

I am quite familiar with that unit having worked on it numerous times and made electrical parts when none were readily available. GP contacted me as to donation value and my appraisal was between $30 to $50 grand due to upgrades that had been done and overall condition...guess that's where the $40 grand was arrived from....so you can blame me!

Glad to have had a small part in seeing it preserved.

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad

Date: 02/08/16 14:32
Author: TCnR

Yep, it was replaced with a Trackmobile. Pretty big sucker a a matter of fact.

They mentioned when it breaks they can call a tow truck.

Date: 02/09/16 14:08
Author: speederman01

A friend that was in the hardware business always said, " You can charge whatever you want if you don't have it in stock"  I suppose the same goes for a value when donating a piece of equipment.  Although at $40,000, that machine is still $80,000 less than a used trackmobile. 

~DWF

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0647 seconds