Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > R.I.P. Bob Sinclair

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/08/16 15:04
R.I.P. Bob Sinclair
Author: FCP901

Anyone from the Southern California area knew Bob Sinclair. He frequented Cajon Pass, the Colton, Riverside, Corona areas, and seemed to be out photographing/videographing trains most every day.  I just found out the sorrowing news that he passed away at the end of December from a brain bleed. He was 74 years old and died just short of his 75th birthday. He was cremated and wanted his ashes spread in Cajon Pass.

I will miss my trusty friend of over 35 years! Good bye, Bob Sinclair.
FCP901

Date: 02/08/16 15:16
Re: R.I.P. Bob Sinclair
Author: bradleymckay

FCP901 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone from the Southern California area knew Bob
> Sinclair. He frequented Cajon Pass, the Colton,
> Riverside, Corona areas, and seemed to be out
> photographing/videographing trains most every
> day.  I just found out the sorrowing news that he
> passed away at the end of December from a brain
> bleed. He was 74 years old and died just short of
> his 75th birthday. He was cremated and wanted his
> ashes spread in Cajon Pass.
>
> I will miss my trusty friend of over 35 years!
> Good bye, Bob Sinclair.
> FCP901

Sad news indeed, Paul.  Bob was a good guy.  I seemed to run into him (and his dogs) alot on Beaumont Hill over the years maybe because at one time his parents lived in the Hemet/San Jacinto area. I don't think he ever tried to have many of his photo's published but I do remember a few in one of Joe Shine's books.

RIP Bob Sinclair!

Allen

Date: 02/08/16 15:18
Author: GRNDMND

Sorry to hear of Bob's passing. I knew he was not in the best of health and got the chance to see him and talk with him again a little over a year ago at RSD5's one night. We would run into Bob out in the San Bernardino/Colton area just about every weekend back in the day. RIP Robert!

Kevin Cavanaugh

Date: 02/08/16 15:37
Author: callum_out

I'll echo everyone's sentiments, Bob was a great guy, fun to be around and like Bernie, someone who'd you
run into in the darndest places. I mean we're all getting older but Bob seemed to keep himself in good shape.
I'd like to see some of Bob's shots, he always seemed to be where things were happening and you want to
believe if there's a life beyond that he's there now.

Out

Date: 02/08/16 15:52
Author: wigwag

What a loss.  Ive known him for 25 years. Used to come over for slide shows at his house.  He even had the Colton Tower sign in his garage. Ill remember him best in that old blue Jeep he had. RIP Bob.

Date: 02/08/16 16:53
Author: JWS

Bob was one of those guys that always had one (or two) of his dogs with him while railfanning. Someone like that is No. 1 in my book. I had the privilege of publishing many of his photos in one of our latest titles, and I know that really made his day. In fact, he told me that one of his dogs had got in the way when taking a photo in Utah. Well, the photo with his "little friend" is in the book and when I showed it to him, it really brought a big smile. 

The Western Railfan community will really miss you Bob—RIP!

Joe

Date: 02/08/16 16:56
Author: callum_out

Joe, what's the title of the book?

Out

Date: 02/08/16 17:17
Author: MGRACER

Paul,
Sorry to hear the passing of Bob.Truly one of the good guys.We wil all miss him.
Steve Gartner​

Date: 02/08/16 17:20
Author: SP8595

To echo what the other guys have said, Bob was such an easy going, simple individual and you would run across him in the strangest places and he always had his dogs with him!

He was one of the Great ones and even though I hadn't seen him in over 25 years, I remember very well the times spent at Pepper Ave. "shooting the breeze"..

Rest In Peace Bob and I am thankful that I had the pleasure of meeting you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 17:54 by SP8595.

Date: 02/08/16 17:22
Author: Cajon92

Sorry to hear of Bob's passing. Have seen his photo's in books and had the pleasure to meet him at 'Rail Mess 2014'.  

~Ryan

Date: 02/08/16 17:24
Author: TheNavigator

Sorry to hear this sad news.  Bob was a great guy and who seemed to bring the trains with him when he was out.  He will be missed.

GK

Edit:  Forgot I'd taken this picture until I did some searching through the slide boxes.  R.I.P., Bob.  (Photo at San Bernardino, March 20, 1988.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/16 09:11 by TheNavigator.

Date: 02/08/16 17:30
Author: TexBob

Damn! I remember visiting with him back in the day at the SB depot or Cajon. IIRC he had a small GM pick-up then,
and always had one of his dogs. 

He always had a smile on his face and never had a bad thing to say about anybody.

Rest in peace, Bob.

Robert Pierce
Sugar Land, TX
SWRails.com

Date: 02/08/16 18:58
Author: miralomarail

Bob will be missed !  He was always happy to share information and make our days better , and was a part of Pepper Ave as much as the Countless trains passing by

Date: 02/08/16 19:25
Author: SP2778

I had known Bob for about 30 years. We spent much time together on Cajon and Beaumont with our video cameras.
He had a large HO ayout in his garage with a working hump yard. I enjoyed the operating times.
We traded videos but he did not want his name listed if i posted one of his.
(That will change).

Bob Smith
Colton.

Date: 02/08/16 19:45
Author: bradleymckay

TheNavigator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
   Bob was a great
> guy and who seemed to bring the trains with him
> when he was out. 
>
> GK

Very true Gary.  All the oddball stuff, especially on SP, seemed to run when Bob was out and about.  And if you didn't see it yourself he'd "matter of factly" tell you what ran, but without the gloating! 

One of Bob's favorate sayings about pool power on SP, Santa Fe and UP:  "Well, ya just never know..."

Waiting for "oyw's" comments about Bob...

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 19:46 by bradleymckay.

Date: 02/08/16 20:35
Author: TheInstigator

Just got to see this and it leaves me feeling rather sad having met Bob on my first ever visit to the States back in Sept 94 . I saw him last probably last autumn when he seemed to be doing better . God bless you Bob I'm sure I will still feel your prescence at Pepper. He was one of the few guys these days without a bad word for Anyone.
Andy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 21:12 by TheInstigator.

Date: 02/08/16 20:40
Author: oyw

So sad to hear, I knew Bob wasn't doing well but I am still stunned. Everyone has already said what a great guy he was, not much left to say because he TRULY was a great person. A modest man, I've known Bob as a friend since the early 1980's and had him over to the house for numerous slide shows, most of which he was the unintentional star of thanks to his awesome collection. Photography aside, he was also a talented modeler, mechanic, and an especially gifted carpenter, as many of us were fortunate to experience. He really was the amimal lover that many have mentioned. Bob's health had declined in the last few years and he spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital but ALWAYS stayed positive. He was a fighter, never complained, just continued to bounce back. As TexBob and Tom said, he never had a bad thing to say about anyone and had a way of making your day better with his presence. I will miss Bob tremendously and am glad to have known him, suffer no more my friend as I am sure you are in a better place.

Date: 02/08/16 20:47
Author: SP2778

Bob really caught the pool power on Aug. 9, 1993 on the SP near & at Beaumont CA. Six different road names non of which said Southern Pacific.
Video by Bob Sinclair.(First posted 7-24-11).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 20:55 by SP2778.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/08/16 23:36
Author: David.Curlee

I hadn't seen Bob Sinclair in years but always appreciated our visits.  I will miss that guy. 

On a side note, it's rather sad how many veteran Southern California railfans have died in the last few months.  I wish everyone could get along better and cherish the good times together.  Our day could be coming sooner than later, you never know. 

Date: 02/09/16 04:00
Author: Espee1212

So sorry to here of Bob's passing; first met Bob at Pepper 40 years ago when he was driving his Chevy pick up with the flames on the side and one of the freshly repainted returned RSD12's from OCE was in a consist. He will be missed.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0719 seconds