Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some days are diamonds

Date: 02/08/16 17:00
Some days are diamonds
Author: 2ebright

You may have heard the song lyrics "some days are diamonds, some days are stones". Well today was a diamond for sure; clear blue skies and fairly moderate temps for winter here in western Colorado. Since I was suffering from a bad case of cabin fever, I was able to prevail on my wife and get a hall pass for a half day of train watching. It was my plan to go to the loadout of the Deseret Power Ry. near Blue Mtn., Colorado and see if the train was there, wait for loading to begin and then go search out a good spot for a shot. Well when I got to the loadout around 1:30PM there was no train to be seen. That meant it was either out at the power plant unloading or on the road somewhere. I guessed that it was probably somewhere on the return, empty run and would likely show up fairly soon. I staked out a place at MP 1 where the train would be favorably lit and waited. After a wait of a little over 2 hrs. I heard it blowing for the road crossing of the Deserado Mine Rd. about 1 mile west and got ready to shoot. Here it comes and I got the attached shot; only one shot as once this train goes into the loadout it will be at least 3-4 hours before it loads and comes out again for another run. That would put it well after sundown, so I reluctantly closed up shop and headed home to Utah.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 02/08/16 17:11
Re: Some days are diamonds
Author: TTownTrains

That's a keeper!

Bill G.
Tulsa, OK

Date: 02/08/16 17:36
Author: ns1000

NIIIIIICE....!!

Date: 02/08/16 17:51
Author: MDH

If you're only going to get one one shot out of a day that's a heck of a good one!

Michael

Date: 02/08/16 17:52
Author: SP8595

Outstanding, what a shot!

Date: 02/08/16 18:18
Author: BNSF-6432

I see what's got next years Christmas card ;-) Sweet image!

PQM

Date: 02/08/16 18:30
Author: highgreengraphics

Sometimes the cold wind, blows a chill in my bones...Nope never heard it. Nice shot there in the snow, those colors really pop in the white countryside! === === = === JLH

Date: 02/08/16 18:42
Author: fbe

Golly, I wish I could have been there with you, cold toes and all. Great photo.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/08/16 18:56
Author: 2ebright

Come on over, fbe. The RR runs 4 days a week and I am retired--lots of time.

Dick Ebright

Date: 02/08/16 19:42
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Excellent shot, Dick! That is an operation right here in my home state that I have never seen in person. I really need to get up there one of these days and check it out. :)

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 02/08/16 20:09
Author: SCKP187

Excellent scene.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/08/16 20:33
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photo (and John Denver song title reference)!

Rich

Date: 02/09/16 09:13
Author: intermodalres

Very nice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds