Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Greeley Sub Action + Random Drive to Cheyenne

Date: 02/08/16 19:51
Greeley Sub Action + Random Drive to Cheyenne
Author: FrontRangeTrains

This morning, I took Megan to class at the university in Greeley (where I'll be attending this August). Since the university is less than a half a mile away from the UP Greeley Sub, might as well kill some time while she's in class. I don't railfan the Greeley Sub as much, but I should more since traffic levels are pretty busy now a days. The Greeley Sub runs from Denver to Speer (outside of Cheyenne). In about an hour, I bagged four trains, which is pretty decent. After picking up Megan and grabbing lunch, we were debating on what to do for the rest of the day considering it was only noon. She mentioned the idea of shooting more trains, and then she brought up Wyoming. It's not that far so why not! While up there, it was nice and cold and of course naturally, windy. But there were a few trains to go around.
  • If you're familiar with the Greeley Sub, normally UP's intermodal trains usually run in the evening/night or early morning hours. A nice surprise showed up as the Salt Lake City, Utah to Denver, Colorado stack train makes its way through the city of Greeley. The North Platte to La Salle manifest can be seen in the siding in the background.
  • Just south of La Salle at Peckham, the sun is out as the same stack train races along at track speed next to US-85.
  • Following right behind the stack train, UP's Local 7 makes its way south through Peckham with an ex MKT GP39-2 leading two GP40-2's.
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 02/08/16 19:53
Re: Greeley Sub Action + Random Drive to Cheyenne

After letting UP Local 7 out of La Salle, the North Platte to La Salle manifest gets permission to use the center cross-overs to yard their train here in La Salle and they can be seen pulling south to clear the cross-overs. 

There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 02/08/16 19:56

• An SD70AH and SD70M lead a westbound stack train under the C&S bridge in Cheyenne.
  • While the westbound stack train was leaving town, BNSF's loaded Platte River coal train departs Cheyenne too with an SD70ACe and ES44AC leading.
  • At Borie, a westbound intermodal train climbs the grade on Track 1. 
Some more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 02/08/16 19:59

• As the westbound intermodal climbs the grade on Track 1, an eastbound loaded autorack train races down the hill on Track 2.
  • The DPU's on both trains make a perfect meet as the trains go their separate ways at Borie.
  • After getting a new crew, the same eastbound autorack seen at Borie races east at Hillsdale doing track speed.
One more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 02/08/16 20:00

• The DPU of the eastbound autorack train brings up the rear as the train races east towards Pine Bluffs and points east at Hillsdale.
Thanks for looking!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 02/08/16 20:28
Author: eatontm

Nice catch on that stack. Lotsa color in all the shots, well done.

T

Date: 02/08/16 21:23
Author: mojaveflyer

Some very nice catches, John! Timing worked pretty well for you.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 02/08/16 22:06
Author: wesleygreer

Kick-butt series of shots, 9 is especially gorgeous. 

Date: 02/09/16 04:21
Author: oklachaser

Really great series of photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 02/09/16 04:35
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff....!!  Thanks.....

Date: 02/09/16 05:49
Author: SCKP187

Nice series and photos. Geat short trip.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/09/16 05:59
Author: Bob3985

Nice catches John. And a great series of photos. The 2002 Olympic locomotive appears to still be captive here in Cheyenne for the Granite runs gathering ballast for the BNSF.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/09/16 06:01
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Wonderful series of shots, John! Impossible to pick a favorite out of all of those.

I know that, as of six months ago or so, I heard that the Greeley Sub was the busiest single track line on the UP. Not sure if that is still the case or not. Perhaps north of La Salle to Cheyenne.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 02/09/16 06:26
Author: SP8595

Great series John! That ex-Kennecot Copper, exx-MKT engine is pretty cool leading the Local 7!

Date: 02/10/16 05:57
Author: texchief1

Nice series!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds