Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Azusa Happenings

Date: 02/09/16 04:31
Azusa Happenings
Author: SP4360

Caught the Pasadena local and a Gold Line Test Train at Dalton Av. in Azusa yesterday aftenoon. Shot from the new parking structure. The regular LRT trains are running straight through to Citrus Station after dropping passengers at Sierra Madre Staion,  swap ends and return to Sierra Madre to continue on regular run.

Date: 02/09/16 04:58
Re: Azusa Happenings
Author: mojaveflyer

Good timing!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 02/09/16 06:42
Author: Arkeytek

Interesting grade crossing; even though the freight line is a bit of a distance from the light rail tracks, the three crossings are protected by one set of crossing gates.  Note that there is no gates on the photographer’s left side of the Pasadena Local.  This is good because vehicles lining up waiting for the LRTs don’t back up onto the freight line and vice versa.  However, since there is double crossings gates, I have to assume the gates are timed separately so that no vehicles get trapped.  Simply put, the “entrance” gates would have to drop first followed after a short interval by the “exit” gates.

Did you notice the gate sequence while you took this great photo?  I grew up in Pasadena and have fond memories of the Super Chief / El Capitan passing a block away from my childhood home every evening.

Date: 02/09/16 07:47
Author: SP4360

Exit gates are timed to drop after the entrance gates and have loop detectors to check presence of vehicles and will remain up until all loops are clear.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds