Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Derailed Amtrak #4 Heading East

Date: 03/20/16 08:43
Derailed Amtrak #4 Heading East
Author: Milw_E70

The Amtrak #4 that was involved in the derailment in Kansas a week ago is finally heading east to Chicago, just passing through Newton, KS at 1030 this morning. Believe the train will be spending the night in Kansas City so Amtrak mechanical forces there can give the train a closer lookover before proceeding on east tomorrow.

Date: 03/20/16 12:00
Re: Derailed Amtrak #4 Heading East
Author: RCPE_Hogger

I'm surprised Amtrak Mechanical even bothers to look the train over. Seems they do not even care about the maintenance or upkeep of equipment, with all the STATE OF GOOD REPAIRs happening and derailments. Instead, worrying about repainting equipment, which is pointless and a waste of money and manpower. Unbelievable. Amtrak needs to get its head out of its a@$.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/16 12:30
Author: trkspd

Hey RCPE hog, you do realize that most of the Amtrak derailments and crashes are due to track defects or grade crossing incidents....and that Amtrak doesn't own the rail it runs on outside of the NEC.

Mr. Professional Railroader, I thought you would know that.

How's your class 2 railroads equipment and track maintained?

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

Date: 03/20/16 12:59
Author: Out_Of_Service

i knew it wouldn't take long after his constant SOGR comment to solicit an agressive response ...

Date: 03/20/16 13:06
Author: RCPE_Hogger

I realize that, but not all is caused by track or grade crossing accidents. Look at the former E60 electrics and the SDP40 diesels where EQUIPMENT was blamed for derailments. Looks like it is happening again. That in addition to poor maintenance of locomotives and railcars - how many times, this year alone, have you heard of a freight locomotive leading an Amtrak train, and how many times have a train been delayed, or worse, cancelled because of defective railcars? Amtrak should STOP repainting equipment and focus on maintenance. In regarding our railroad, tracks are in excellent shape with the exception of the PRC Sub, and our locomotives are surprisingly in good shape.

trkspd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey RCPE hog, you do realize that most of the
> Amtrak derailments and crashes are due to track
> defects or grade crossing incidents....and that
> Amtrak doesn't own the rail it runs on outside of
> the NEC.
>
> Mr. Professional Railroader, I thought you would
> know that.
>
> How's your class 2 railroads equipment and track
> maintained?
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/16 14:36
Author: The_Chief_Way

I'm having a little trouble following the E60 and SDP40F problems to a little accident 
in Western Kansas that so far does not seem to have any mechanical failures noted.
I'll stand by for clarification.
Meanwhile, rest assured that Amtrak, BNSF and the FRA have been all over that stuff
before it left the derailment site. It is being moved at a 40 mph max until it can be 
restored to that rare State of Good Repair that you are so fond of. Then the paint brushes
come out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/16 15:01 by The_Chief_Way.

Date: 03/20/16 15:24
Author: TheInstigator

RCPE_Hogger Wrote:
> I'm surprised Amtrak Mechanical even bothers to
> look the train over. Seems they do not even care
> about the maintenance or upkeep of equipment, with
> all the STATE OF GOOD REPAIRs happening and
> derailments. Instead, worrying about repainting
> equipment, which is pointless and a waste of money
> and manpower. Unbelievable. Amtrak needs to get
> its head out of its a@$.
>
> Posted from Android
Everything that's wrong with Trainorders these days. Why the aggresion the poster simply reported an event happening.
Andy

Date: 03/20/16 17:32
Author: GenePoon

RCPE_Hogger Wrote:
> I'm surprised Amtrak Mechanical even bothers to
> look the train over.

I'm not.  The equipment has been compromised and they want to make DAMN sure nothing
happens to it as it goes in for proper repairs.  It's only basic prudence. If I owned that
equipment I would want nothing less, and if I were a railroad over which that equipment
operates, I would EXPECT nothing less.

Date: 03/20/16 19:09
Author: Lackawanna484

will they try to patch this consist in Kansas City or send it directly to the Grove, presumably at very low speed?

Date: 03/20/16 20:59
Author: trainupaboy

We saw it in Cimarron last night. .from our point of view it had very little cosmetic damage.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/16 21:02
Author: The_Chief_Way

It will probably end up in Chicago Monday.  I doubt if much of it needs to go to the Grove.
Amtrak has no facilities in KC for any kind of work.

Date: 03/21/16 05:42
Author: Chessie1963

It would be great if someone could get pics of the equipment that was tipped over.  Damage appears to be surprisingly light.

Date: 03/21/16 06:26
Author: Railfan2

any idae where it is at this monday morning?

Date: 03/21/16 06:43
Author: rww

Should be departing Kansas City shortly.  No. 4 left at 0832.

rww

Date: 03/21/16 07:41
Author: Milw_E70

Yes, following A4 out of Kansas City.

Date: 03/21/16 08:34
Author: howeld

Any speed restrictions on the equipment?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/21/16 09:13
Author: mundo

Its been posted as 40 mph.

Date: 03/21/16 20:03
Author: UPRR3985

Chessie1963 Wrote:
> It would be great if someone could get pics of the
> equipment that was tipped over.  Damage appears
> to be surprisingly light.
>
>  
Chessie ,
I took those pictures the other day. I wasn't in a position to post so I forwarded them. The road next to them was on the south side so I took what I could get. The FRA and NTSB were walking around on the north side and it was on RR property. From what I saw there were just a few scrapes and pulled emergency windows on the north (dirt) side.
There were some damaged trucks but it wasn't major. Mainly the wear pads on journal boxes and the keeper plate across the truck frame lower below the J-box. Looked like the bolts may have been sheared off as the plate was missing. Other than that all I can say is I got what I could get!
UPRR3985

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0783 seconds