Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Very Santa Fe-Centric Afternoon in the South Bay/LA Harbor

Date: 05/02/16 20:38
A Very Santa Fe-Centric Afternoon in the South Bay/LA Harbor
Author: rbmn5022

A trio of trains with ATSF and ATSF-inspired units for power today. With a lack of variety on the mainlines in SoCal, it's so nice having the local ops to balance things out!

1.) Y-WAT1011-02I heads south through Redondo Beach with a pair of blue & yellow GP60s and 17 cars from El Segundo. The No Trespassing signs on the right indicate LA Metro ownership on the Harbor Sub.
2.) Jumping to UP's Reyes Industrial Lead, PHL YPSW24, the "Reyes Switcher", takes a cut of cars to a customer or customers in Compton.
3.) Back on the Harbor Sub, last light arrives with Y-WAT1021-02G (I think) as the train departs Watson Yard with a pair of ATSF GP60Ms and a train for Torrance.

Date: 05/02/16 21:22
Re: A Very Santa Fe-Centric Afternoon in the South Bay/LA Harbor
Author: NH2006

Score!  Very nice set!

Date: 05/02/16 22:18
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice trio, bummer PHL ended up with the local business near Dolores from the UP! Think the last shot might be 202 as it is a second shift job.
​JB

Date: 05/02/16 22:21
Author: DNRY122

We see those Warbonnet GP60Ms up here in the San Gabriel Valley bringing cars to the Miller-Coors brewery in Irwindale.  I saw one out on the San Jack north of Perris which had the BNSF under the road number covered with red spray paint.  Ordinarily, I don't approve of unauthorized application of coatings to railroad equipment, but this was "justifiable".

Date: 05/03/16 06:30
Author: SP8595

Great trio!

Date: 05/03/16 09:02
Author: rbmn5022

Thanks guys!

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think the last shot might be 202 as it is a
> second shift job.

It's been difficult to figure that out on my end as an observer. You're obviously way more knowledgable about this so maybe you'll have context. I've seen contradictory things that would seem to indicate that the 3 other (102/104/204) crews in Watson could do this based on which day, but I do suspect it's probably just one of those or the 202. To further make things messy, I've also been told that the 202 crew you noted shows as a recrew of the 101. This would kinda make sense based on their operational patterns, but again contradicts everything else I'd heard.

Mark

Date: 05/03/16 20:28
Author: BNSF-6432

Wow! Love it, all you needed was a a pin striped SD45 ;-)

PQM

Date: 05/03/16 22:44
Author: Lairport

As a former Redondoan up in the PNW. Glad to see the action. I used to hear the ATSF thru trains late at night while in bed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds