Home Open Account Help 174 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cruising Thru Doublea

Date: 05/03/16 09:07
Cruising Thru Doublea
Author: Auburn_Ed

That's DOUBLE-A on the Transcon.  Chuchubobnv lead me to this spot, north of Ash Fork, AZ.

Ed

Date: 05/03/16 12:32
Re: Cruising Thru Doublea
Author: tehachcond

Can you share with us how you got in there?

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 05/03/16 14:19
Author: goneon66

as i remember during my days in m.o.w., we accessed the eagle nest/doublea areas on the crookton cut-off via ash fork off of I-40.  i don't remember the names of the roads but google maps would be a good place to start.

the territory between crookton and williams jct. is awesome and worth the effort to see......... 

Date: 05/03/16 14:41
Author: Auburn_Ed

From Ash Fork, drive N. on 1st. St/Double A Ranch Rd (the only crossing of the peavine in town) about 2 miles.  Turn right (east) on Canyon Rd./County Rd. #39, follow it about 9 miles to the tracks.  Then east a little bit on County Rd. #124, which parallels the mainline for quite a while.  If you check the maps, you can get to County Rd. #124 from Williams, about 16-18 miles, (but more complicated navigation is required).  GPS is helpful, as there are many other unmarked roads that tempt you to follow them into.............NOWHERE.

Ed

Date: 05/03/16 15:56
Author: donner_dude1

Auburn_Ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From Ash Fork, drive N. on 1st. St/Double A Ranch
> Rd (the only crossing of the peavine in town)
> about 2 miles.  Turn right (east) on Canyon
> Rd./County Rd. #39, follow it about 9 miles to the
> tracks.  Then east a little bit on County Rd.
> #124, which parallels the mainline for quite a
> while.  If you check the maps, you can get to
> County Rd. #124 from Williams, about 16-18 miles,
> (but more complicated navigation is required).
>  GPS is helpful, as there are many other unmarked
> roads that tempt you to follow them
> into.............NOWHERE.
>
> Ed

Mostly dirt gravel roads. Very interesting drive after a storm and during spring melt. Brings a Delorme with you, as mentioned above those Forest Service Road go all different directions.  Don't expect AAA to come get you back there if you have problems. Some of the roads that lead to Eagles Nest and other spots are not for low clearance vehicles.

Date: 05/04/16 03:02
Author: Hookdragkick

Nice, that is some dedication because Doublea is in the BFE! I'm glad I've went DOL there.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds