Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP operation on Niles [Hayward line] and Coast [Mulford line] Sub

Date: 05/23/16 21:37
UP operation on Niles [Hayward line] and Coast [Mulford line] Sub
Author: JGFuller

What is current freight operation on these two routes?

Date: 05/24/16 12:04
Re: UP operation on Niles [Hayward line] and Coast [Mulford line]
Author: pdt

seems Most freight going via Mulford (coast line) .  Starlights going coast most of the time too.   Of course hard to tell if freight going via hayward on the radio...
as it is all ctc and no radio chatter needed.  Also with 79 speed for pax on hayward line, not so easy to mix with slow freights anyway.  I just hear most of the freights getting warrants on the coast...but i dont listen every day.  If your asking whicjh is the better hangout, Niles Jct or newark...I'd say newark....but I cud be wrong

Date: 05/24/16 20:12
Author: jimB

The MRVSJ usually goes via Mulford. Not sure what the MNWRV is doing most of the time but I have heard it go via Niles and Altamont a few times recently.

The Milpitas trains seem to go via Niles most of the time - shorter.

Once the MNWRV has left in the morning and the MRVSJ has passed in the early afternoon, that's mostly it for Newark freight in daylight. It seem like Milpitas traffic at Niles is irregular.

Bring something to read!

Jim B

Date: 05/25/16 00:41

Niles-Newark is part of the Niles Sub.

Date: 05/25/16 09:25
Author: JamesSchlinger

As pointed out, the preferred route for freight when possible is the Mulford Line since there are no Capitols scheduled on that line. Someone with better access can probably get you specifics, but off the top of my head:

MNWRV – SP’s Centerville Line (Niles Sub). Typically an Altamont train, but occasionally Cal P, in which case Mulford or Niles
MRVSJ – Mulford or Niles
MRVMI – Mulford or Niles
MMIRV – typically a right turn at Niles Tower for Altamont, but sometimes runs Cal P, meaning Mulford or Niles
KMNOA – Mulford
ILTLT – Mulford, though it has been known to take the Niles Sub and wye at Niles.
IOAST – Mulford. This train stopped running for a while but I think it is running again. The symbol may have changed.
ANPMI – either route
AMINSR – either route
OCJWW/OWWCJ (dirty dirt to/from SF) – either route

I'm sure I left a couple off this list, as well as the various locals. 

- James

JGFuller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is current freight operation on these two
> routes?

Date: 05/26/16 11:26

Thanks to all for this info!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1379 seconds