Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tehachapi (Part 3 - The Loop)

Date: 05/24/16 08:23
Tehachapi (Part 3 - The Loop)
Author: cinder

TODAY, we move up to the loop itself where some new perspectives are offered.........achieved with landowner permissions..

1. Aerial perspective from April 2010
2. Southbound UP intermodal.  This view is achieved by a short but steep hike above the public monument on the road below.  I missed a sea of wildflowers by about two weeks.
3.  View of the trackwork connecting Marcel and Walong.  Yes, lots of ongoing but inconclusive discussion concerning the future daylighting of the short tunnel  The MP heritage unit in this consist was assigned as  a DP unit at Cajon on an eastbound manifest three days later.

Date: 05/24/16 08:24
Re: Tehachapi (Part 3 - The Loop)

4.  Ho-hum classic perspective 1.
5.  Ho-hum classic perspective 2 
6.  Ho-hum classic perspective 3 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 08:49 by cinder.

7.  Southbound just below the loop.
8.  Southbound at north end of Walong siding emerging from cut.  Taken from Loop Ranch corral.
9.  View from Loop Ranch with an attentive young steer in the foreground.  Yes, the baretable train was boring to me as well. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 08:51 by cinder.

10.  View of northbound intermodal from former Dave Burton property and former location of TO webcam.  The new owner envisions a small museum and trainwatching site.
11.  A UP closely follows the BNSF train.  Note the small sign in the lower right...."Burton's Curve"..

Tomorrow its on to Cajon Pass and the Frost crossover near Victorville.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 08:55 by cinder.

Date: 05/24/16 09:41
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch, especially the nice angle on the loop.
JB

Date: 05/24/16 11:08
Author: wigwag

Nice! How did you get the drone so high up in the first pic?

Date: 05/24/16 12:40
Author: tronarail

Great photos and explanations as well. However, "boring perspective" is not the term I would've used. I would be content to sit at the apex of the loop (above tunnel) for watching trains. You said that you obtained the property owner's permission. Was that done personally or by mail? And if done personally, where and whom do I contact to get permission in the future? Thank you for any info you can provide.

Date: 05/24/16 17:41
Author: TrainRidingGal

Do you have any other info regarding the train museum and watching spot you alluded to?? Would be nice to get closer to the Loop again.

Date: 05/24/16 18:03
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!  Thanks for posting.

Date: 05/24/16 21:32
Author: rdlehmer

As probably has been argued ad nasuem before, my opinion is that Tunnel 10 is not long for this world. The cut and roadbed grading is definitely wide enough for two tracks, so I expect the current main line to be abandoned after the other two tracks are laid and the tunnel abandoned or (more likely IMO) demolished and the grade of the hillside made a more stable pitch.

Ron

Date: 05/25/16 00:38
Author: CR3

Good to hear that at least somebody was allowed to shoot photos from the ranch.  I haven't been up there for years but the last I heard was that the property owner was very hostile toward railfans and even had his employees run people off.

CRS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0557 seconds