Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > An Alaska quickie

Date: 05/24/16 11:12
An Alaska quickie
Author: OregonOldGuy

It was an offer too good to refuse!  Our daughters had a trip to Alaska on the books and invited me/us to go.  So off we went.  I didn't expect to catch a lot of trains, but I could always hope!

Photo 1:  Second night on the trip found us in Seward.  Found the Coastal Classic train parked at the depot near downtown Seward.  The 4326, 3014, and 8 cars shown here waiting for departure time.  May 15, 2016.

Photo 2: heading north at milepost 3, crossing the first of three bridges over the Resurrection River.   Departure was promptly at 1800 hours.

Photo 3  May 16 and we have travel northward toward Moose Pass, which is not a pass but a small village.  A few miles south, the tracks cross the Trail River as seen here with the morning Costal Classic train with the same consist as the day before.

More to come.

Rob

Date: 05/24/16 11:26
Re: An Alaska quickie

Back to Anchorage with a stop at the ARR gift shop a must do.

Photo 4 while at the gift shop, we heard a train approaching from the north, which turned out to be a cruise ship movement with the 4328 and eight assorted cars.  they dumped opff some bags of trash or something and as seen proceeding through the depot area.

Photo 5. May 19th and we have gone north to Talkeetna where we caught the northbound Denali Star coming into town with the 4321 and 4324 on a 7 car train.  Right on time by the way.  

Photo 6: On into town (the Star has a 15 minute stop here) and we find the Hurricain train getting set up for their trip north after two other trains.  consist from the rear was the 3010, baggage car 100, dome car 521, and coach 209 and cab car 31.

More to come.

Robert

Date: 05/24/16 11:30

Photo 7: the Denali Star departs from the Talkeetna depot

Photo 8 One of my hopes was to see the 4321, and I did get that wish granted!  You see, I am one of those number freaks!  Enuf said.

Photo 9  The Star meets the Hurricain.

More to follow.

Rob

Date: 05/24/16 11:36

Photo 10 and the last car of the Star is passing the Hurricain train.

Photo 11: Next up was a McKinley Explorer move with the 4317 with a four car train.

Photo 12  The Hurrican train then pulled out of their spur and backed south tot he depot.  The engineer reboards after saying good bye to his wife and their Corgi.

Still more to come!

Rob

Date: 05/24/16 11:40

photo 13; Driving over the bridge near the shops in Anchorage, we see the south bound McKinley train has returned to Anchorage.  The lone unti and two cars are tucked into the shop area, alaong side the Glacier Discovery train with its GP and cab car consist.

photo 14 another view of the shops area.  

And on to a midnight flight back to Portland.

Thanks for looking!

Rob

Date: 05/24/16 11:52
Author: jmbreitigan

Very interesting pictures. I think your wish to see some trains was granted   : )
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 11:53 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 05/24/16 12:11
Author: MP90

Nice variety. Thanks for posting.

Date: 05/24/16 12:23
Author: electromac

Nice......looking forward to another season of "Railroad Alaska"..........

Date: 05/24/16 12:38
Author: trainjunkie

I was the conductor on the Denali Star two days prior to your shots at Talkeetna. Up until then, it was warm and clear, puffy white clouds and blue skies. On the 17th on the southbound trip we hit a snow storm in Healy that took us by surprise and lasted almost to Hurricane. It had dropped from the 70s to the low 30s overnight up there. It's been cloudy and damp ever since although today there is blue sky over Anchorage. Welcome to Alaska in the spring. Thanks for sharing your pix.

Date: 05/24/16 14:35

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very interesting pictures. I think your wish to
> see some trains was granted   : )
> John

Yes, I must agree.  What really struck me as unusual was the lack of freight trians.  I did hear one on Wednesday evening in Wasilla, roaring through while we were moving into our motel room.  that was as close as I came to seeing one!

BTW, I since have learned there is a maueum in Wasillla with several ARR locos and cars.  I had the time had I known it was there.  I jsut missed the inforamtion!

Rob

Date: 05/24/16 14:49
Author: trainjunkie

OregonOldGuy Wrote:
> What really struck me as
> unusual was the lack of freight trians.

The Anchorage - Fairbanks freights run at night to avoid all the passenger traffic. The north freight usually goes on duty in Anchorage at 1930, and departs as soon as the southbound Denali Star spots up in Anchorage around 8PM, which usually puts the freight in Wasilla around 9:30 to 10PM. In the AM you may have heard one of the gravel trains while you were in Wasilla as they pass through there twice a day on weekday mornings. We just started running coal again after the mine in Healy was temporarily shut down for some repairs but there is only one train set so that only shows up in that area every few days. An occasional work train may pass through from time to time as well but that's about it, aside from the passenger traffic, for this subdivision.

Date: 05/24/16 17:08
Author: Ween

The good news is with the sun setting later and later this time of year, you'll see the NB freight in the daylight if you can get on JBER and at other points north of the base (i.e Matanuska JCT).  Just remember your mosquito (and bear...if you're on JBER) spray!

Chris

trainjunkie Wrote:
> OregonOldGuy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What really struck me as
> > unusual was the lack of freight trians.
>
> The Anchorage - Fairbanks freights run at night to
> avoid all the passenger traffic. The north freight
> usually goes on duty in Anchorage at 1930, and
> departs as soon as the southbound Denali Star
> spots up in Anchorage around 8PM, which usually
> puts the freight in Wasilla around 9:30 to 10PM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 17:13 by Ween.

Date: 05/24/16 18:04
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 05/24/16 20:51

ns1000 Wrote:
> Nice pics!!

Thanks all.  I'll be back!!!!

And yes, the very late sunsets played havoc with my mind!

Rob

Date: 05/25/16 00:47
Author: Fizzboy7

Really some wonderful displays there!   Having rode the train from Fairbanks to Whittier last July, these brings back great memories!   This is a train trip everyone MUST do at least once in their life.    

Date: 05/25/16 18:40
Author: ProAmtrak

Awesome pics, I need to head back up there someday!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0964 seconds