Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Pasadena Local dumb luck

Date: 05/24/16 23:10
Pasadena Local dumb luck
Author: oyw

Yesterday was one of those Mondays I had off and as per usual when I’m working around the house, I keep the scanner locked on Metrolink and try to listen for the BNSF Pasadena Local. I normally hear it leaving Kaiser Yard in Fontana for Irwindale around 10:30AM and with the high sun angle this time of year, decent photos are pretty much impossible, this day would be different. Several factors came together, beginning with the train not leaving until almost 2PM, so I ran down to the tracks near Grove Ave in Upland to take a look.

1) Something I hadn’t planned on was a back-to-back pair of still Santa Fe-lettered GP60M’s with no visible tagging, followed by 15 cars including one box car, meaning it would be stopping in Pomona to set it out. Better yet, the last car was a chlorine tanker, which meant they would be going up the little used Metropolitan Water spur in La Verne. Even though the shot here was not bad, the potential was too good to pass up, so I went back home and picked up my wife who reluctantly agreed to ride along.

2) After making their set out in Pomona the, now 14 car train was on the move just after 3PM. Seen passing White Ave in La Verne.

3) Still in La Verne, the train paused for a few minutes at “A” St, maybe waiting for permission to enter the water plant?  Broken clouds were the order of the day but, surprisingly never really presented any problems.      

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/16 06:05 by oyw.

Date: 05/24/16 23:11
Re: Pasadena Local dumb luck

4) Now backing up the spur at the Palomares Ave crossing in La Verne, GP60M’s 141, 111 and train begin the short but steep climb.

5) There is no public access to the plant but this view gives an idea of the grade.

6) Finished with their set out, the train heads south for the mainline near Bonita Ave just before 4PM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 23:15 by oyw.

Date: 05/24/16 23:11

7) The lighting was pretty good at our final location, the super-elevated curve at MP111 in San Dimas where the tracks pass under the 57 Freeway. The telephoto shot shows the old searchlight in the distance.

8) Wooden ties, stick rail, and Warbonnets, life is good.

Perhaps these eight photos might be a little overkill, but many factors came together to make this a unique chase for the year 2016. I feel very fortunate and lucky to have happened across this train, thanks for allowing me to share it with you.

OYW  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 23:21 by oyw.

Date: 05/24/16 23:32
Author: bradleymckay

Most excellent adventure Bob.

As Garth and Wayne would say - "schwing!!"

Allen

Date: 05/25/16 00:32
Author: Fizzboy7

Super impressive pair there!    Everytime one of these related posts pop up, I'm always hoping to see one last "Santa Fe" GP60M without tagging.    At long last, this is the one!

Date: 05/25/16 04:50
Author: 3rdswitch

Wow, you did excellent, what a great bunch! Would you have ever thought the last stronghold would be on locals and branchlines for these once mighty beasts?
JB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/16 04:52 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 05/25/16 05:13
Author: Atsf814

Beautiful work Bob as always!

Date: 05/25/16 05:32
Author: ns1000

NIIIICE...!!

​I'm amazed at how well that paint has held up.....

Date: 05/25/16 06:26
Author: boiler77

simply GREAT!!!!!

Date: 05/25/16 07:10
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos, Bob!  Who would have that you'd get sweet afternoon light for the westbound Pasadena Local in May and a pair of Red & Silver ATSF Warbonnets to boot.

My days of chasing the Pasadena Local have gotten fewer and far between, now that I've moved to Riverside.  However, my wife and I are living very close to the San Jac line near the Box Springs area so that's new territory for me to explore.

Thanks for sharing these.

Rich

Date: 05/25/16 07:27
Author: TheNavigator

Nice indeed, Bob.  Everything came together for this one:  Lighting, power, paint scheme, locale, sky, etc.!
GK

Date: 05/25/16 07:45
Author: SCKP187

Cool chase of the local.  Two fine looking units you caught under great conditions.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/25/16 08:06
Author: erielackawanna

Terrific local chase there and you worked the light well too. 

Nicely done.

Date: 05/25/16 08:22
Author: SP8595

Some guys just have all of the dumb luck:)

Date: 05/25/16 08:49
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series! Great chase of some handsome locomotives!

Larry

Date: 05/25/16 09:26
Author: GRNDMND

You done good there Bob!

KC

Date: 05/25/16 11:38
Author: callum_out

How did the power desk know that you have Monday off? Great shots, whatever those things are, we're warbonnet
challenged in the Midwest, they keep them out there for you!

Out

Date: 05/25/16 23:17
Author: Coalca

Just incredible how good those units look still. Great outing

Date: 05/26/16 03:12
Author: 2472Don

Your Photo #8 could have been IOTD on any day in 1994... that said, it could be IOTD tomorrow.

Don
Honolulu

Date: 05/26/16 07:35
Author: Cajon92

Great shots, Bob. 

Thanks for sharing,
Ryan 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0866 seconds