Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP/EMD Tier 4 Test Train

Date: 05/25/16 06:33
UP/EMD Tier 4 Test Train
Author: RS12394

UP/EMD test train at Blue Mountain crossing east of Plain, Colorado, May 24, 2016. Included in the consist were two Tier 4 EMD SD70ACe-T4s, 1502 and 1503. The locomotives were en route from Denver to Tabernash and Fraser for tests. Note the white streaks of hail in the storm, which blanked much of Arvada and Westminster causing some damage. This scene is on UP's Moffat Tunnel Sub 22 rail miles west of Denver. Photo by Joe McMillan.

Date: 05/25/16 07:12
Re: UP/EMD Tier 4 Test Train
Author: cozephyr

Sweet catch there of the EMD Tier 4 Test Train.  Hope your place didn't get hail.  Heard Kansas got slammed with multiple tornadoes later that day, May 24, 2016.

Date: 05/25/16 08:19
Author: SP8595

Great shot Joe! Very dramatic background.

Date: 05/25/16 11:35
Author: Bob3985

Good catch Joe. Going up for high altitude testing no doubt. I remember once while on the steam crew we had the GE boys use our shop tracks to set up their test units for high altitude testing up at Buford. These were destined for China and had spoked wheels. Yes, spoked wheels with tires just like steamers. Maybe I will run across those photos one day and post them.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/25/16 12:43
Author: RS12394

That is correct, Bob; high altitude testing. They were also going to make a few runs through the Moffat Tunnel and test there as well.

Date: 05/25/16 15:16
Author: mojaveflyer

Very nice shot, Joe! The storms looked very ugly driving down I-25 from Cheyenne, too. I missed the hail but saw a lot of leaves stripped off of trees when I got home.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0274 seconds