Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Engineering special, EMDX Demo's on the Moffat

Date: 05/28/16 07:25
UP Engineering special, EMDX Demo's on the Moffat
Author: SP8595

This last Thursday I ventured out West of Denver on the Moffat Tunnel line in search of Union Pacific's Eastbound eight passenger car Engineering Inspection train. After driving through a pretty good hail storm in Denver, I knew the conditions were going to be tough but I was just hoping to find a "sucker hole" with those dark storm clouds in the background in at least one location.
Unfortunately no Sun was to be found on this day:{

My original plan was to hike up to a spot just East of Tolland but when I got there, it was snowing so hard that by the time I got any elevation you couldn't even see the tracks! So I continued driving West to Tolland and I noticed that when the snow let up and the clouds lifted, you could actually see the snow covered mountains in the background so I decided just to wait at Tolland.

1)There was no lifting of the clouds when the train showed up however! Just typical Springtime weather in the Rockies:}

This train was really moving down the hill so I couldn't beat it to Rollinsville and only got a cruddy grab shot at Pinecliffe.

2)The next location I caught the special was at Blue Mtn. Crossing.

3)After running across TO member "ColoradoRailfan" and one of his daughters at Blue Mtn. we both drove up to the overlook above Clay, or Eisele siding. Here the train is heading across the West siding switch at Rocky.

--------------------------Five More Pictures Posted Below-----------------------------

Date: 05/28/16 07:25
Re: UP Engineering special, EMDX Demo's on the Moffat

As Kevin stated in his thread posted yesterday, there was a mystery train showing lined up following the Engineering special and since we weren't quite even sure if it was a train or not, we were both caught by surprise when it turned out to be the light engine set with the EMD Demo's and thus were both somewhat out of position!

4)UP 8638 passes the Hot Box Detector at milepost 22.6

5)A view of EMDX 1503 with Kevin barely seen hiding in the weeds back by the crossing:}

6)UP 8739 brings up the rear of the consist.

------------Two More Pictures Posted Below---------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/16 07:31 by SP8595.

Date: 05/28/16 07:26

7)A view of the consist as it heads around the Big Ten Curve.

8)Even though it was very dark with light clouds in the background, I figured that since this horse was posing so pretty that I had better get a shot of it:} This is on the fill just West of Leyden.

It turned out to be a pretty cruddy day weather wise, guess that's how it goes sometimes. 
Thanks for viewing and I hope that everyone has a Great and Safe Memorial Day weekend:}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/16 07:36 by SP8595.

Date: 05/28/16 07:50
Author: GRNDMND

SP8595 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 I knew the conditions were going to be tough but I was
 just hoping to find a "sucker hole" with those
 dark storm clouds in the background in at least
 one location. Unfortunately no Sun was to be found on this
 day:{

Despite the clouds, number 2 looks mighty good to me sir. Maybe your luck would have
been better with that sucker hole wish if "oyw" had been along. ;-)

KC

Date: 05/28/16 08:20
Author: SCKP187

Very nice. Despite the weather challenge,  you got some really nice views---and of excellent stuff out there running.  Like the horsepower comparison shot too.  Wish I could have seen this area on my trip, but the fog was so thick I could only see about 100 ft.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/28/16 09:16
Author: 2ebright

Great shots, John. When I heard that the UP Engineering Special was going to leave Helper, Utah at 5:15AM, over an hour ahead of #6,  I had to consider my options. I had planned to catch it in eastern Utah around Mounds somewhere, but, lets see, it would leave Helper in the dark, maybe hit good sun somewhere around Green River. To catch it at Green River I would have to leave home at around; Oh hell, way to early for this old guy. Besides the weather forcast was not favorable. So, I am enjoying your shots as well as the others. Thanks, John.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 05/28/16 09:38
Author: KCCharlie

Great shots, John.  I really like #2, nothing wrong with shooting on cloudy days, right?
KCCharlie

Date: 05/28/16 09:51
Author: erielackawanna

Very cool catch - nice work with the conditions.

Date: 05/28/16 10:12
Author: GrandeGold

These are beauties! I love the paint scheme on the T4. The nose looks better with the altered taper and teardrop windshield.

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 05/28/16 11:04
Author: ns2557

Shot 2 is Killer John,Really like the ones with the Demo's in them too.  Even tho the clouds got ya, dem's be sum great shots.  Ben

Date: 05/28/16 11:05
Author: philippe

Number two is the winner.

Date: 05/28/16 11:12
Author: TheNavigator

Sun or no sun, those are some really nice photos, John!
GK   

Date: 05/28/16 12:10
Author: oklachaser

Outstanding photos John.

Ronda Thomas

Posted from Android

Date: 05/28/16 17:02
Author: NH2006

Love the hail shot, all quite excellent.

Date: 05/29/16 06:20
Author: cozephyr

Congratulations on IOTD!  Well done!  Double delight on the Moffat Tunnel line.

Date: 05/29/16 06:46
Author: KCCharlie

Congratulations on IOTD. 

KCCharlie

Date: 05/29/16 12:17
Author: JoCoLB

What a collection of a "keepers" within a short span of time. Congratulations on IOTD.

Date: 05/29/16 19:43
Author: CP_M260

Great shots! It looks like your 'cruddy grab shot' got you an extra month's membership! ;)

-Dalton 

Date: 05/30/16 18:43
Author: wesleygreer

Goregous shots!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1043 seconds