Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some Joint Line, Spanish Peaks, and Warbonnets

Date: 05/30/16 06:05
Some Joint Line, Spanish Peaks, and Warbonnets
Author: FrontRangeTrains

Yesterday, Megan and I spent the whole day together railfanning and exploring around between Denver and Trinidad, Colorado, a total of  200 miles. Considering how dull traffic was, we still had a good day catching trains along the Joint Line, in Pueblo, and the Spanish Peaks Sub. She's never been south of Colorado Springs before so at least half of the drive was completely new to her and she absolutely loved it. As for me... south of Pueblo offers some beautiful country, especially from Walsenburg to Trinidad. I'm definitely coming down here more often. Here are the results:
  • The early morning sun shines down as a southbound UP "Colorado Springs Utilities" loaded coal train led by AC4400CW-CTE No. 5793 slowly makes its way over the Palmer Divide at Palmer Lake as three teens try their luck at the lake.
  • A former AC6000CW (now standard AC4400CW) No. 6907 brings up the rear of the CSUX coal train as it crosses the still lettered for the "Rio Grande" bridge over CO-HWY 105 at Monument.
  • Driving south from Pueblo on I-25, one can spot the Spanish Peaks over 50 miles away near Walsenburg. These are probably my favorite peaks around that provide an exquisite background. This was taken west of Walsenburg along US-HWY 160 to La Veta Pass and Alamosa. The SLRG trackage can be seen in the foreground. If only the railroad ran their Walsenburg freight during the day...    
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/30/16 06:09
Re: Some Joint Line, Spanish Peaks, and Warbonnets

• Between Aguilar and Walsenburg, BNSF SD70ACe No. 9125 leads the Amarillo, Texas to Denver, Colorado manifest north along the Spanish Peaks Sub. East Spanish Peak can be seen faintly on the right right-hand of the photo.
  • The same manifest negotiates the numerous curves as the train approaches the town of Walsenburg. The gorgeous Spanish Peaks loom over 12,000ft in the background.
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/30/16 06:15

• Two Santa Fe Warbonnet painted C44-9W's work the yard job in Pueblo with a cut of empty welded rail cars. 
  • A thunderstorm can be seen in the background moving east out onto the plains as southbound coal loads led by SD70ACe No. 8411 rolls on past MOW just north of here on the 10,000ft passing siding in Colorado Springs.
Thanks for looking! 

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/30/16 06:29
Author: 3rdswitch

Fine bunch.
JB

Date: 05/30/16 08:42
Author: mojaveflyer

Very nice series, John...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 05/30/16 11:53
Author: SD45X

Might head south again. SLRG been pulling empties out for the BNSF. Last trip I made last week had the UP local in the Walsenburg yard in the morning light. SLRG made it into Alamosa around noon. Maybe catch them coming in from LaVeta in the early light.
Those Warbonnets are assigned to the Hill Cut for now. No idea how long they will stay before the castration event in Mexico.
And seems there is more ballast going over the pass again. Maybe the first. Not sure yet.
Ludlow exit you can go south along the tracks a little. Big horseshoe curve:)

Date: 05/30/16 13:26
Author: bobdavis

It's amazing how green it looks down that way, especially around Palmer Lake, and I'm sure all that water in the lake is most welcome, too!  Outstanding series of pix.

Bob

Date: 05/30/16 14:13
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!!  Thanks for posting.

Date: 05/30/16 14:26
Author: mp51w

Your photography is outstanding!  Thanks for the Spanish Peaks shot without a train, although you did get the tracks(rail content) in the foreground.  LOL!

Date: 05/30/16 15:45
Author: degilchr

Wonderful pictures.  We have a home between Walsenburg and LaVeta with open view of the Spanish Peaks.  A vista I never tire of.  Looks like one or more of your shots were taken in the area of the Catholic Cemetery on South Side of Walsenburg.  I frequently park in the Cemetery to watch trains.

​Follow this link for a special picture of the Spanish Peaks.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160524.html

​Don G

Date: 05/30/16 15:57
Author: SP8595

Outstanding series once again John!

Date: 05/30/16 20:01
Author: oklachaser

Really great series of photos.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0613 seconds