Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Klamath Falls Ops ????

Date: 05/30/16 14:37
Klamath Falls Ops ????
Author: OregonOldGuy

Will be doing some work in the KF area starting next Monday.  I will be there late Sunday until Thursday morning.  Even hope to do the CORP trains one time while heading home.  Is there a TO member out there that can fill me in on current weekday operation?  PM is fine and we can take it off TO after that.  Any clubs, model or railfan types?

391 views and no replies yet.  I will just keep hoping!

TIA

R

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/16 15:30 by OregonOldGuy.

Date: 05/31/16 08:07
Re: Klamath Falls Ops ????
Author: TCnR

Haven't been in KF for quite a while, looks like most of the TO folks who work through there have retired or are away. The remaining show in town would be working the BNSF area where the old Weyerhaueser plant was accessed by crossing the draw bridge, and the UPRR local going out the old Modoc Line as far as Alturas. Otherwise it's BNSF coming through the UPRR yard to their yard just south of town and the UPRR dropping and picking up DPU's in their yard. Northbound Amtrak around 10 am, southbound amtrak around 10 pm, then repeat the next day. Quite a bit different than in the past.

Some times on the UPRR local would be interesting.

There's also Train Mountain near Chiloquin on Hiway 97, an extraordinary sized 'Live Steam' hobbyist funded operation:

http://www.trainmountain.org/

There is also a collection of logging equipment at Collier State park, also near Chiloquin:

http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=165

There's also a private collection of steam era equipment outside of Merril, but that would be a sore topic for a lot of people as it's in a very basic outdoor storage.

An interesting location in that area is the BNSF/UPRR level crossing at Stronghold, but that's also turned into a pretty desolete train location.

Date: 05/31/16 09:00
Author: mapboy

The KF locals that I've heard about are:            LIM49 around the yard?            LIM70 Modoc Local, to Perez on Modoc Sub to exchange cars with Lake County Railroad.  Left KF early in 2014 on SuTuTh, now down to 1/week?  Wikipedia says Thursdays.

mapboy

Date: 06/06/16 21:39

First Monday and it was looking like a washout.  Clouds and nothing much moving around.  Went for chow, then by the depot just as a UP pulled in from Eugene (HPWRV?).  Headed down to highway bridge over Modoc lines Junction at Texum.  Got there with a couple minutes to spare, and noted a pair of BNSF geeps with 9 cars pulling up to Bieber Junction, looking like a move to the Whitetown line.  I shot the Up freight and headed to find an angle on the old draw bridge.  Checking out a mobile home park I found one vacation space that not only had a view of the bridge, but a great view!  Followed down to the small yard where they were preparing to back into a yard track.  Looking ahead, I noted another local crew coming in from the south, also with a couple of GeePs and 11 cars.  They pulled up to the other train, swapped crews, then headed for the yard.  Back to the mobile home park for more shots.  Not a bad outcome for the first day.  Oh, did I mention the large hole in the clouds?  Most shots in sunlight!  Only sunset got the last few views.

Photos letter this week

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/16 21:30 by OregonOldGuy.

Date: 06/06/16 21:43
Author: RyanWilkerson

Glad you found some action. I think a southbound could have been the QPWRV or QHKRV? It's been a couple months since I've railfanned the I-5 corridor so my symbols are a bit rusty.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 06/07/16 07:43

I think your QHKRV may fit better.  The usual paper loads from the P&W weren't on the train.

thanks,,

Rob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds