Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Five trains on the Moffat yesterday morning!

Date: 05/30/16 17:15
Five trains on the Moffat yesterday morning!
Author: SP8595

No, the Moffat Tunnel line is not totally dead just quite yet but while yesterday morning was quite busy, there was a noticeable lack of any coal trains!

I got word about BNSF's Provo, UT to Lincoln, NE train with a CREX leading early yesterday morning so I decided to make the long walk up to the area around Tunnel #3. The shot that I had in mind and actually shot Rio Grande Tunnel Motors at 27 years ago is now unfortunately blocked by a signal box for the slide fences so I decided to hike up above Tunnel #2 and look around.
After finding a spot, it became apparent that the Eastbound trains were not going to be able to beat Amtrak down to Plainview so I then had to hike back down, walk over to Tunnel #3 and then hike/rock climb above that Tunnel!

1)Amtrak 207 leads an on time Westbound California Zephyr #5 and is just about to head into Tunnel #3.

Then after Amtrak passed, I had to do the reverse of getting down from Tunnel #3 and hiking back above Tunnel #2. 

2)The first Eastbound train was a rather lengthy Union Pacific Roper Yard/Salt Lake City to Denver manifest train with the UP 6057, 6334 and 8722 on the head end. The fill that the engines are just about to cross is where the dirt completely washed out from under the tracks back in 2013.

My camera for some reason would not focus when I tried shooting a vertical of the head end so I shot a vertical of the mid-train helpers, it wasn't quite the same:{

3)UP 4341 and 7230 are mid-DPU's on the 109 car train (71 loads,38 empties-10,320 tons-7574') The car ahead and ones behind the helper are drywall on center beam flats wrapped in yellow plastic.

--------Four More Pictures Posted Below----------------------

Date: 05/30/16 17:19
Re: Five trains on the Moffat yesterday morning!

I re-positioned a little to the East for the next train, which was the CREX 1301.

4)CREX 1301 exits out of Tunnel #3. Sure looks like model railroad!

5)Another view of the 1301.

6)Following right behind the 1301 was the Union Pacific 8171 leading a short maintenance-of-way Gang train. It originated at Silverthorn,CA and was heading to Pueblo.

-----------------One More Picture Posted Below-------------

Date: 05/30/16 17:22
Author: TheInstigator

A good day John!

Date: 05/30/16 17:24
Author: mojaveflyer

Very nice series, John! Also, some really good exercise as well...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 05/30/16 17:25

After meeting three trains at Plainview (you don't see that happening very often anymore!) The North Yard/Denver to Phippsburg local departed Westbound with the UP 5484 leading. Th Sun angle was horrible but I thought that I would try getting a picture anyway but as you can tell, the rock above Tunnel #2 is VERY steep! After taking a little tumble while heading back down, I don't think that I will be trying to get to this spot again anytime soon:}

Thanks for viewing yet more pictures posted by me:}

Date: 05/30/16 17:39
Author: F40PHR231

Very nice!

Date: 05/30/16 18:20
Author: trb

Some fabulous shots. Hope you didn't get to banged up on your tumble.

Todd Busse

Date: 05/30/16 18:59
Author: wesleygreer

Killer shots, what a morning! I caught the MoW train on the Joint Line in the evening, first train since I've gotten back. 

Date: 05/30/16 19:08
Author: FrontRangeTrains

Looks like you got your exercise for the day with these great shots :)

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/30/16 19:21
Author: tomstp

To me tunnel 3 is a fantastic place for photos.

Date: 05/30/16 20:03
Author: SPgoletablock

Really digging #5!! Check out how much ballast they had to "landslide" in that fill. Great series.

Date: 05/30/16 20:23
Author: oklachaser

Really awesome photos John. I loved it out in that area when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to get back out there in the future.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 05/30/16 20:23
Author: SCKP187

Nice that you finally had good sun. That's some serious climbing, and serious results each one.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/30/16 21:46
Author: TheNavigator

Great shots, great scenery!
GK

Date: 05/30/16 21:51
Author: NH2006

Woohoo!  Glad you got some up there!

Date: 05/31/16 05:38
Author: bobk

Great stuff!

Date: 05/31/16 08:35
Author: wag216

We all loved your photos and we all know that you really had to "work" to get those shots. Please, be carefully! wag216

Date: 05/31/16 10:36
Author: Notch8

Great Shots as always.  Love the shots of the flatirons. 

Date: 05/31/16 16:49
Author: Cajon92

Great photos, some beautiful scenery to go along with the trains. Thanks for the effort and sharing the great results.

Ryan

Date: 06/03/16 23:18
Author: coach

So much of rainfanning is just enjoying and being "wow'd!" by the gorgeous landscapes of Mother Nature.  Tunnel 3, with those huge diagonal slate hillsides is one of those special places!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds