Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains on the Bellingham Coast

Date: 05/31/16 09:31
Trains on the Bellingham Coast
Author: es44fan

A few days ago while on vacation, I spent some time on the BNSF Bellingham Sub in a variety of new locations. The scenery – as usual – in the Bellingham area and in the Pacific Northwest didn’t disappoint for some very nice shots. 

1: While driving into town, a southbound BNSF freight requested movement through a red flag zone so I decided to stay up in the forested areas just south of Bellingham for a few shots. Here the southbound BNSF freight rolls through the Samish, WA area.
2: The same train snakes along the Samish Bay as it continues to Seattle and beyond.
3: After dinner in town, I went out to the tracks again at the start of the Bay Trail towards Boulevard Park for a few more trains right by my hotel. Here, Amtrak 517 rolls into its first station stop just south of the Canadian Border running on time.

​There's more...

Date: 05/31/16 09:33
Re: Trains on the Bellingham Coast

4: The last shot of the day was Amtrak 516 departing the Bellingham Amtrak Station in the setting sun running on time.
5: The second day of shots started with an early morning drive back to Samish where Amtrak 513 emerges out of Tunnel 18 heading to Portland.
6: Back at the start of the Bay Trail, a northbound BNSF freight with BNSF 8263 on the point slowly passes under the pedestrian bridge after meeting a southbound coal train in Bellingham Siding.

There's more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/16 09:34 by es44fan.

Date: 05/31/16 09:36

7: NREX 700 is the last locomotive on the consist of the northbound freight.
8: The last shot of the trip was BNSF 5286, the DPU of a northbound coal train shot from my hotel room in the setting sun.

​Thanks for looking!!

Date: 05/31/16 11:17
Author: sums007

Nice shots and nice hotel, too.  What's its name?

Date: 05/31/16 12:04
Author: OSWishram

Easy to find the hotel on Gargle Maps with the hints in the photos, even for this flatlander.  That's the Chrysalis Inn & Spa in Bellingham.

Bob W.
Overland Park, Kan.

Date: 05/31/16 12:08
Author: MP555

In the 5th picture, who knows what the little buckets are for?  One is at right of frame, the other is at the bottom edge of the plow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/16 12:08 by MP555.

Date: 05/31/16 12:11
Author: TAW

OSWishram Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Easy to find the hotel on Gargle Maps with the
> hints in the photos, even for this flatlander. 
> That's the Chrysalis Inn & Spa in Bellingham.
>

...then go down the road a piece (or two) for train-watching dinner
http://www.chuckanutmanor.com/#chuckanut-manor

TAW

Date: 05/31/16 12:54
Author: Rick2582

Say, I just had to ask:  if sea levels are rising, why don't we hear about it in relation to coastal tracks which run near the ocean ?  Guess the rise is quite small so far ?

Date: 05/31/16 13:30
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 05/31/16 20:17
Author: SP8595

Outstanding shots!

Date: 06/01/16 15:23
Author: jmbreitigan

Those are some beautiful photos. A great view from your room.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds