Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crossing Clio

Date: 06/27/16 02:59
Crossing Clio
Author: Amtrakdavis22

A westbound ethanol train crosses the Clio Trestle back when it was cold enough for there to be snow on the ground. 

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 06/27/16 06:40
Re: Crossing Clio
Author: LarryB

Great pic! I live 2 miles from there and it's predicted to be in the 90's the rest of the week.  A bit of snow would feel good,

Date: 06/27/16 12:03
Author: Cajon92

Great shot, Jake.

That was a fun trip, we'll have to do another one next Winter.

Ryan

Date: 06/27/16 12:03
Author: GP40X

It's hard to capture how imense this trestle is. There are a lot of trestles in the FRC, including Keddie, but I think that this one is the best. Lunch in Graeagle isn't bad, either.
Lane

Date: 06/27/16 13:38
Author: Fred

I believe I read that the Clio trestle is the highest "bridge" on the UP (it was the highest one on the WP)  Looks like the trees have really grown since I was there 20 years ago.

Date: 06/27/16 17:52
Author: BNSF-E9

What about the Black Bird Inn in Clio?

The trestle is awesome.

Date: 06/27/16 23:46
Author: Evan_Werkema

Fred Wrote:

> I believe I read that the Clio trestle is the
> highest "bridge" on the UP (it was the highest one
> on the WP)

I guess it depends on how you measure.  Wikipedia says the Clio Trestle is 172 feet high.  According to highestbridges.com, the double-deck bridge that ex-SP now UP rails share with I-5 over the Pit River north of Redding, CA puts the rails 430 feet above the one-time river level.  It doesn't look particularly high because when Lake Shasta is full, it comes within about 40 feet of the bottom bridge members.  The data on the California Data Exchange Center say the furthest the lake elevation has fallen in recent memory is about 170 feet down from the high water mark, reached on November 29, 2014.  They don't have the elevation figures for the 1976-77 drought on-line.

Date: 06/28/16 09:38
Author: JamesSchlinger

Just name the weekend guys!

Cajon92 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot, Jake.
>
> That was a fun trip, we'll have to do another one
> next Winter.
>
> Ryan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds