Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Evening on the Walnut (pt 1)

Date: 06/27/16 09:51
Evening on the Walnut (pt 1)
Author: santafe199

On the eve of the recently concluded Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modelers Society annual convention I decided to spend my first night in Winfield, KS instead of the convention city of Wichita. Since hiring on in 1978 with the Santa Fe I’ve had a long & unfulfilled goal of shooting a train rolling through the bridge over the Walnut River at the south edge of Winfield. In 9 years of train service I rode through that the bridge dozens of times. Only once in those years did I get an opportunity to shoot from the adjacent highway bridge, but no train ever came. Coming back from last year's SFRN&M convention in Dallas I tried again with no luck.

A week ago today that all changed. On the way to my lodging I stopped to shoot a sunset silhouette through the bridge in question. By pure luck I caught the sound of a horn approaching from the south. So I waited 2 or 3 long minutes, and finally fulfilled a 38 year old mission. The subject matter isn’t blue & yellow, but I’m hardly in a position to complain.

Story to be continued

1. & 2. BNSF Walnut River bridge, looking west from the US hwy 77 bridge.

3. BNSF 4188 leads a northbound (TT east) grain empty through the bridge.
(3 photos taken June 20, 2016 in Winfield, KS)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/16 10:10 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds