Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP derailment near Green River, WY....

Date: 06/27/16 22:42
UP derailment near Green River, WY....
Author: mtnwestrail

Heard a report that UP had a derailment in the Green River, WY area this evening, but the only thing I have found is this short report with an image of a derailed stack train.  Based on both tracks being ripped up there could be some detours around Wyoming and via Colorado.

http://sweetwaternow.com/train-derailment-reported-near-milepost-83/

My best guess is that 'MP 83' is on I-80 which would place the derailment just east of where the double main line passes under the interstate about 5 miles west of Green River, WY.  (Edit - linked report above was updated.)

https://goo.gl/maps/pFdSN2ZtvMK2

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/16 22:44 by mtnwestrail.

Date: 06/27/16 23:38
Re: UP derailment near Green River, WY....
Author: Cajon92

From the photo the derailment is at Peru (Wyoming/CP G825 on the Evanston Subdivision) right about the summit of Peru hill. 

Ryan

Date: 06/28/16 00:39
Author: dan

crossovers, wonder if it picked or was actually crossing over, guess atk will have to reroute , oh wait they did in 83

Date: 06/28/16 03:34
Author: mojaveflyer

Normally Amttrak doesn't run this route... This is the reroute trackage.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 06/28/16 04:58
Author: highgreengraphics

Peru has had several derailments throughout the years. I know that cut well - I helped install new crossovers and CTC in 1977 as a brand new Asst. Signalman. === === = === JLH

Date: 06/28/16 05:41
Author: Bob3985

I know it was mighty hot out in that end of the state yesterday and will be again today. They are calling for 102 in Salt Lake today.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/28/16 09:04

They must have cleaned it up quickly because the potential detour of the Denver-SLC Z-train did not happen.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 06/28/16 12:36
Author: highgreengraphics

There are a lot of resources at nearby Green River to clean up derailments, stuff can be pulled out of the way of one main and panel-track it in a hurry. === === = === JLH

Date: 06/28/16 14:12
Author: MW810

Nothing is running thru there yet. They run these trains to as close as they can get so they can run them first when possible.

They will clear at least one track for 10mph and then work between the traffic.

Only the "super z's" are active - everything else is staged or tied down.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/28/16 16:55
Author: Realist

There is no MP 83 out there.  The mile posts are all in the 800-series from Rock Springs on west.

Date: 06/28/16 17:05

Realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no MP 83 out there.  The mile posts are
> all in the 800-series from Rock Springs on west.

Right.  That is why I noted the mile marker was for the interstate in the initial post.  The reporter isn't familiar with the railroad as is typical of most media.

Thanks for the info, MW810.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 06/28/16 18:52

Conidecently, I belive MP 825 ish is the site of the derailment, near I80, near milemaker 83, near railroad mileplost 825.... (so on and so forth :) )

Date: 06/28/16 19:37
Author: Biggs_Jct

Looks like the wb parade of hotshots at Green River is about to start up in earnest, so the derailment cleanup must be finishing up as we speak.

​Whole bunch of intermodals called out at this time, with trains holding both east and west of Green River: ZG1SC, ZG2BR, ZG1BR, ZG2OA, ZG2LT and KG3LB all called out, with a ZDVSC, another ZG2LT, IDUSE and ICBLB trains east of Green River awaiting their turn. Should be quite a show to watch this evening if in the area. Also a few manifests and grain trains parked in the vicinity as well.

Really surprised the ZDVSC didn't do the reroute bit via the old DRGW, but the double stacks on the train would make that a no-go from the start.

Date: 06/28/16 20:42
Author: moose

See the above post inquiring about the location of the derailment near Green River, WY.

The first picture is looking east, near the derailment at Peru. There is a bridge over the cut there, just east of Interstate 80, and this photo was likely taken close to it. Was out there at 1:00 pm 28 June and RJ Corman and (I think) Hulcher were winding up the cleanup. UP track crews were beginning to rebuild both tracks, about 100 -150 yards each. The derailment was almost under the I-80 bridges over the tracks. Had the event been a little farther west it could have taken out the bridges of both lanes of Interstate 80. We talked to two men involved with the cleanup. One was from Gillette,WY, the other from Kansas City. Both had been up since yesterday or early this morning. Neither had an estimate of restoration of service, nor did they speculate on the cause, but based on how things looked to be progressing it may be open by now (2125, 28 June). Those boys do not mess around. They assess the situation, plan quickly, assemble crews and equipment, and get the job done. Very impressive.

Date: 06/29/16 03:47
Author: sums007

MW810 Wrote:
> Nothing is running thru there yet. They run these
> trains to as close as they can get so they can run
> them first when possible.
>
> They will clear at least one track for 10mph and
> then work between the traffic.
>
> Only the "super z's" are active - everything else
> is staged or tied down.
>
> Posted from iPhone

On the UP, how does one know if a Z train is "super" or "not super"?  BNSF has a system for that.  What's UP's?

Date: 06/29/16 12:41

Couple of things....

Nothing was called out last night. They just started to run some stuff a few hours ago - couple at a time to start balencing priority traffic and work Windows.

There isn't a system on the UP that would be noticeable. You just get to know the symbols on how they are ran. Symbol wise, there is nothing that makes one Z a super Z more than another by looking at it.

Z-Premium Intermodal
K-Priority Intermodal
Q-Priorty manifest

Everything else is essentially standard other than passenger and special priority moves.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/29/16 19:11

In reply to the poster above, all of the trains that I posted last night were called at Green River and ran last night, so I don't know what information that poster was going by. Not going to waste my time (and yours) posting stuff on here that did not actually happen.

Date: 06/29/16 22:04

Trains were prompted for crews, but were canceled several times. They did 5 waves of east/west trains and are still currently trying to run the backlog. As of late morning there were 83 eastbounds to run and sort.

Several work trains were called that came from both directions.

Crews in both directions are/were on extended heldaway status at th hotels as well as dead heading to get them in positions and untie trains.

Date: 07/01/16 15:39

MW810 Wrote:
> Trains were prompted for crews, but were canceled
> several times. They did 5 waves of east/west
> trains and are still currently trying to run the
> backlog. As of late morning there were 83
> eastbounds to run and sort.
>
> Several work trains were called that came from
> both directions.
>
> Crews in both directions are/were on extended
> heldaway status at th hotels as well as dead
> heading to get them in positions and untie trains.

​That would make sense, as it looked like everything ran west that evening, but maybe not all. Thanks for the update.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0848 seconds