Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Morning on the Walnut (pt 2)

Date: 06/28/16 09:39
Morning on the Walnut (pt 2)
Author: santafe199

Yesterday I posted a train shot that fulfilled a 38-year long mission to shoot a train on the Walnut River bridge in Winfield, KS. Although said train was a sunset silhouette, I wasn’t at all complaining. I arose at my motel Tuesday morning and snarfed a quick continental breakfast. I checked out and headed straight for the BNSF mainline bridge over the Walnut River hoping to get lucky again. While waiting under the south end of the bridge I answered a couple of PMs, and posted my infamous “Toto BOLO” alert via cell phone. I waited quite a while without results so I though it best to start my migration toward Wichita. Registration for the Santa Fe convention didn’t start until 3 PM and I wanted to get some rare shooting done in the south-central Kansas arena.

1. BNSF bridge over the Walnut River, taken from Lakeview (?) Rd underneath the south (TT west) end of the bridge.

2. View from the north (TT east) end of the bridge, taken from parallel US hwy 77. No trains, so I decided to just move on…

Date: 06/28/16 09:41
Re: Morning on the Walnut (pt 2)

But as I made my way west out of town I noticed a westbound controlled signal visible from the 9th St (US hwy 160) crossing was lit up green. I was back in business! The railfan gods must have decided to give me a good ol’ “Two-fer Tuesday” special, similar to what a number of dining establishments have adopted in recent years. In less than 12 hours I would bag a second train over the Walnut, this time in bright morning sunshine. (Ain’t this a neat hobby… :^)

3. 4. & 5. 26 minutes later BNSF 4100 leads a long stacker through the bridge I had just abandoned.
(5 photos taken June 21, 2016 in Winfield, KS)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 06/28/16 23:15
Author: casco17

Thanks for posting.  Good things come to those who wait?

Date: 06/29/16 14:38
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, Lance!  Sorry I couldn't make it to the convention and meet you.  I'll holler at you if I ever get back to Matfield.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 06/29/16 16:38

texchief1 Wrote: > ... I'll holler at you if I ever get back to Matfield.
I'll be looking forward to it!

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds