Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Early summer Moffat action

Date: 06/29/16 09:12
Early summer Moffat action
Author: Diamond_D

On Saturday I had some free time in the morning and decided to try and catch a few trains on the Moffat. I was out early around 7am, but the scanner was dead quiet, and I knew Amtrak was at least an hour late. Down at Crescent a short work train of gondolas and a front end loader was idling on the siding, but no real action. I eventually made my way up to Pinecliffe and explored the rocks above Tunnel 29 a bit more and found a new vantage point I liked. After about an hour and a half sitting in the sun and watching the fishermen in South Boulder Creek below, the scanner finally came alive. Of course, after a full morning of nothing, there ended up being a meet right at Cliff so I had to shoot both trains from the same location. Luckily it was a pretty sweet location. I was also excited to see a heritage unit on the front of #5 when it finally showed up, about 2 hrs late.

1) Amtrak 5 wb across the creek
2) #5 heading toward the east switch at Pinecliffe where it will take the siding to run around a BNSF
3) BNSF eb manifest had just pulled up to the stop signal at Cliffe a few minutes before in a well-timed meet, now slowly getting back underway with the continental divide in the background

Date: 06/29/16 09:14
Re: Early summer Moffat action
Author: Diamond_D

4) Headed east just about to enter Tunnel 29
5) Dropping down the grade at the mouth of Coal Creek Canyon exiting Tunnel 1. I got skunked by a big cloud here, but the shots still came out alright
6) Approaching the Blue Mtn Rd crossing with the long train strung out behind

Date: 06/29/16 09:16
Author: Entropy

I can see the brown trout in the creek, thanks for the pics. 

Date: 06/29/16 09:24
Author: grafvonb49

Normally I favor Calfornia poppies (yellow-orange) and lupine but i'll take the pumpkins in the last shot as a darn good substitute.   Very nice work, lovely images, good catches.  One of these might easily make IOTD.

grafvonb49

Date: 06/29/16 10:12
Author: olddude41

Beautiful work Nicholas, simply beautiful.

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

Date: 06/29/16 11:51
Author: atsf121

Wow, 2 & 3 are outstanding!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/29/16 16:25
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

I like Pic 3!!

Date: 06/29/16 17:41
Author: jmbreitigan

I like the photos from your new vantage spot.
John

Date: 06/29/16 23:48
Author: Railfan4Christ

Really great shots, love the last one.

Tom

Date: 07/01/16 08:15
Author: chips7335

Gorgeous images. Great composition and lots of effort to get these photos.

Date: 07/01/16 10:03
Author: Notch8

Those are some excellent pictures of my favorite line

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds