Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Rancho (Southern California)

Date: 07/18/16 21:40
Rancho (Southern California)
Author: cchan006

Rancho is located about a mile east from Pepper, where railfans can watch some action at east end of West Colton Yard. Rancho Ave. overpass over the UP ROW is fenced, so it's not easy shooting with a SLR-size lens camera, but with a smaller lens camcorder, shooting through the fence is do-able.

Sometimes, I can catch a Sunset Route westbound here after nabbing it along San Timoteo Canyon, but thanks to the flyover, the train will often beat me here - no more waiting at the diamonds to give me time to set up.

I was chasing the "UPS Train" (ZMQLC) back in March, and because of train congestion near Loma Linda, I got ahead of the Z and a couple of trains when I got to Rancho.

In the video, a manifest train on Track 2 is being passed by the often-mentioned Robertson Rock Train (from Cabazon) on Track 1, at Rancho. Enjoy.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/18/16 22:51
Re: Rancho (Southern California)
Author: jst3751

Interesting catch on the Robertson Rock Train. It seems longer than usual and had 3 units instead of 2. I belive it still does a main line crew change at the West Colton Tower.

Date: 07/19/16 11:21
Author: czuleget

Is this not the old Colton cross over area in Colton?

Date: 07/19/16 13:48
Author: TheInstigator

czuleget Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this not the old Colton cross over area in
> Colton?
Tarin is the regular 40 cars and yes the Colton flyover crosses the old flat crossing . One OWLS crossing remains.
Andy

Date: 07/19/16 15:40
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video. 

Date: 07/19/16 16:51
Author: Chooch

That whole area has changed so much since I was last out there in the Colton area back in 1999. What a difference and a great place for picture and video taking.

Jim
Hatboro, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds