Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Pembine, wi railfanning

Date: 07/24/16 11:05
Pembine, wi railfanning
Author: spsniper

Going to be in Pembine Wisconsin and Escanaba Michigan area. Does anyone know about the rail activity in this region we will be there on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/16 11:14 by spsniper.

Date: 07/24/16 12:25
Re: Pembine, wi railfanning
Author: brc600

Pembine is the Milwaukee Road Green Bay line north to Octonagon, MI crossing the Soo Line track from Minneapolis-St Paul to Sault Saint Marie, MI/ON.

The E&LS runs the Milw and CN runs the Soo, so maybe a train each way on each line.

Tim V

spsniper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Going to be in Pembine Wisconsin and Escanaba
> Michigan area. Does anyone know about the rail
> activity in this region we will be there on Monday
> Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanks in advance!

Date: 07/24/16 13:17

Is there any other towns near there to do some rail fanning? It looks like there are some other jct near there. Thanks for the reply Tim.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/24/16 16:32
Author: Oakway

Hermansville, MI is east of Pembine and is where the CN line from Pembine, along with ELS, joins the CN (Former CNW) to Iron Mountain.  East of Hermansville is Powers, and that is where the line mentioned in the previous sentence joins the CN (Former CNW) line from Green Bay to Escanaba. 

Escanaba is the next biggest town east and has a yard.  It also has a CN branch to the north to the Iron Range of Northern MI.  A couple trains a day use this branch.

I don't know any operational info (Would like to know that as well since my inlaws are in Northern WI), but it's not an area of the world to sit and wait.  If you stumble into a train, buy a lottery ticket.

Date: 07/24/16 17:22
Author: toledopatch

It's been a long time since I've been up there, but from what I read on regional discussion lists, the traffic through Pembine itself is probably less than daily on both the ELS (ex-MILW) and the CN (ex-SOO). I do not believe the latter is still used for any through traffic, so all it sees is a local, and I don't know how often that train runs any more.

Escanaba/Gladstone is your best bet for finding traffic, but nothing in the area qualifies as busy. I'm under the impression that even the Ore Sub up to Empire Mine is down to one ore round-trip per day plus a wayfreight/transfer to Ishpeming.

Date: 07/24/16 19:51

Thanks a lot for the info guys we are going to head up tomorrow and we will send you a report if we see some trains up in that area.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds