Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Railfan Break from the Cruise Ship

Date: 07/24/16 19:33
Railfan Break from the Cruise Ship
Author: spider1319

Talked into the cruise? Well, here's the reward.The White Pass and Yukon Route at Skagway ,Alaska.The first image is the Carcross train loading passengers at the Skagway Depot.The second view is the same train leaving Skagway for Carcross..The last image shows the contrast between a Ford F250 and one of the Alco narrow gauge diesels.This was a lifetime ambition to see this narrow gauge and I was not disappointed.We rode the Carcross train which covers the entire in service portion of the railroad.Bill Webb 

Date: 07/24/16 19:37
Re: Railfan Break from the Cruise Ship
Author: ATSF5669

Cool pics!  Welded rail on the Yukon is so unexpected, but makes a great statement about their expected longevity.  Thanks for posting these.

Date: 07/24/16 20:01
Author: lynnpowell

More photos!  MORE!!!

Date: 07/24/16 21:50
Author: roustabout

I hop eyou got a chance to talk with the crew while you were on the train. We had a great time yakking with the conductor David and the brakeman Jeremy when we rode (also) to Carcross and back.  Also chatted with the engineer John while at the stop at Bennett.  Great trip, best I've ever had; great scenery, great crew, great little railroad! I was greatly impressed with the condition of the right of way, as well.  Good rail, a lot of it 115#.  Here are a couple three photos from our trip.

I'd like to get back there one way or another.  Maybe by ferry next time and drive the other way, who knows.  Also would like to ride the Skeena from Princes George to Rupert and back some day.  Need to hit the lottery...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/16 22:00 by roustabout.

Date: 07/24/16 23:13
Author: Fizzboy7

Never seen a WP&Y photo I didn't enjoy!
What is the first car behind the power?   Hadn't seen that before.

Date: 07/25/16 07:13
Author: spider1319

I did talk to the crew .All positive and exactly what you describe.I thought about a car rental next time on a cruise for an all day of chasing.Thanks for posting the cool pics.Bill Webb.

Date: 07/25/16 07:17
Author: Lackawanna484

spider1319 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did talk to the crew .All positive and exactly
> what you describe.I thought about a car rental
> next time on a cruise for an all day of
> chasing.Thanks for posting the cool pics.Bill
> Webb.

We did the rental car route, as well as riding the train. There are several places in downtown where you can pick up the car.

In season, with several ships in port, the WP&Y operates on a fill 'em up and go basis.  Pulls down to the ship dock, loads up from ship A, loads a second train from ship A, loads a train from ship B, etc.

Date: 07/25/16 10:41
Author: hrxcjg

We will be traveling from Frasier, BC to Skagway, AK next month. Which is the more scenic side of the train to sit on?

Date: 07/25/16 11:16
Author: Lackawanna484

Going up the hill, the left side looks down into the canyon. Some folks prefer to sit on the right side, the view is still excellent.

Date: 07/25/16 14:56
Author: bnsfjordan

hrxcjg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We will be traveling from Frasier, BC to Skagway,
> AK next month. Which is the more scenic side of
> the train to sit on?

I did the Skagway - White Pass trip last week and they had us switch sides for the return trip that way everybody gets a chance to be on the good (west) side.

Date: 07/25/16 15:39
Author: ns1000

I like the look of the last one!!

Date: 07/26/16 07:03
Author: Crabbshell

Great shots was just there a month ago. All the railroad staff were great. Glad you got to see it

Wayne Crabb
San Gabriel, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds