Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yesterday at SCRM (OERM) on SP 1006

Date: 07/24/16 19:57
Yesterday at SCRM (OERM) on SP 1006
Author: TomPlatten

Our scheduled activity was cleaning up many of the salvaged items you see on the pallets in the first photo. However, triple digit heat--about 111--made  us direct our activities indoors. New brake parts have started arriving from to replace the badly mangled parts taken frpm 1006. Fortunately, most of the parts we need have been salvaged from two donated trucks and one of the truck's taken off the 1006. Now we are starting to deal with some broken leaf springs.

Date: 07/24/16 22:13
Re: Yesterday at SCRM (OERM) on SP 1006
Author: mundo

Please use OERM.  SCRM is nothing more then the Legal Name.

Public and fans know it as OERM  or "Orange Empire"

from a former President   OERM.

Date: 07/24/16 23:10
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Don't lubricate leaf springs. On another note, what ever happened to OET?

Date: 07/25/16 05:51
Author: mopacrr

Looks like one of the Santa Fe Horse Express  cars in the backround ;any idea what number it is?

Date: 07/25/16 09:04
Author: Chico43

mopacrr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like one of the Santa Fe Horse Express
>  cars in the backround ;any idea what number it
> is?

I'm assuming it's the same one that sat in the rail yard at San Bdno for many years?

Date: 07/25/16 09:35
Author: CPRR

I do have a question for any OERM members out there:

If you google sat view the location, to the south and the east are piles and piles of stuff with paths between them. Some are rail grant you, but the others are just piles.

So besides being rattlesnake homes, what is all of this stuff? Has anyone ever gone through it, inventoried, and got rid of the crap that the museum never will use?

This is one reason why I have stopped coming to OERM years ago. You wander around from barn to barn looking at great restorations amount the piles of stuff.

Please do not flame and suggest that I donate time money etc. I do. I just want to know what is in the piles that have been rusting out in the desert of Perris that is with keeping....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/25/16 10:17
Author: bobc19024

OERM's ex-AT&SF Horse Express Car is the 1999.

Date: 07/25/16 14:02
Author: czuleget

CPRR, I just spoke with Danny G. an hour ago and he is working on the piles and piles organizing track hardware, Tie plates of several sizes, joint bars of the same, etc.  all are mixed and need to be organized on to new pallets. It is heavy work.
​Also by the way, it is also hot this time of year at OERM. as usual any help rendered is appreciated. Hook up with Danny at the museum he can put any one to work and one can have fun at the same time knowing you made a difference. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/16 19:34 by czuleget.

Date: 07/26/16 07:47
Author: TomPlatten

You are right. There are "piles of Junk" all over the back side of the museum. Yet those same piles of junk frequently yield item we need to repair trucks, brake mechanisms and tracks. Things may sit there for years before it is used. Much of the track the museum has laid for it own use has come from those piles. We have a number of signals which we have cleaned up from storage and returned to use!
We have saved thousands of dollars on the SP 1006 project by using accumulated truck parts for our restoration.
     When I joined to OERM back in 1979, on any given Saturday (our busiest volunteer day), you could see people working on streetcars, trolley wire, track maintenance, diesel maintenance, as well as operations. Now when I look around from  carbarn #7, I can see very few people. The original core of member/volunteers has been shrinking for years and there very few "younger" to replace them.I have often commented that working on trains is not a user friendly hobby and many younger folks simply don't want to get involved in the hard work. I am sure this is a common theme being experienced at other rail museums throughout the country

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/16 07:58 by TomPlatten.

Date: 07/30/16 12:06
Author: bnsfdevore

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please use OERM.  SCRM is nothing more then the
> Legal Name.
>
> Public and fans know it as OERM  or "Orange
> Empire"
>
> from a former President   OERM.
I agree.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0891 seconds