Home Open Account Help 166 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Overland Route - Green River

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/28/16 04:48
The Overland Route - Green River
Author: FrontRangeTrains

This past weekend from July 25th to the 26th, a close friend of mine and myself took a trip out to Southwestern Wyoming along UP's Overland Route to Green River and the surrounding area. It was certainly new territory for us, but it was a blast and we're definitely coming back again for another trip. There were plenty of trains to come by too. Here's what we got in the span of two days:
  • A friend of ours takes the QCONP 22 eastbound led by UP SD70AH No. 8992 through the small town of Sinclair along the Laramie Sub. The crew has just begun their journey across Southern Wyoming to Cheyenne. 
  • Some Form B's that are in effect are causing some single tracking operations west of Green River, which is making it a bottleneck for traffic. Seen here, after getting verbal instruction/permission, UP ES44AC No. 8050 leads the GBIVCR 23 east up Main 2 towards one of the Form B's at the top of Peru Hill near Bryan on the Evanston Sub.
  • A little while later, the same scenario happens again as UP SD70ACe No. 1995 leads the KSEMN 23 east up towards to the top of Peru Hill.
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 04:51
Re: The Overland Route - Green River

• On the other side, UP 1995 takes the KSEMN 23 down Peru Hill as viewed from an old gas station along WY-HWY 374 nears the small town of James Town just west of Green River.
  • After getting a new crew, UP ES44AC No. 7963, with UP SD70M No. 2002 trailing, departs Green River westbound on the MNPWC 24 and will enter the Evanston Sub for the trip to Salt Lake City and eventually West Colton.
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 04:53

• After a quick crew change, UP 1995 takes the KSEMN 23 eastbound out of the city of Rock Springs east of Green River along the Rawlins Sub.
  • A little while later, UP AC6044CW No. 6915 leads the MCYGR 25 west around the be sweeping s-curve along I-80 just outside of Rock Springs.
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 04:56

• Back west of Green River, a little train race is seen happening as both UP ES44AH No. 8262 takes the KG3LB 24 up Peru Hill on Main 2, while UP SD70ACe No. 8812 leads the MNPRV 24 up the hill on Main 1.
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 05:00

• A little while later, UP AC4400CW-CTE leads the IG3SE 24 west up Peru Hill on Main 2 towards Granger where they'll enter the OSL for the trip into Idaho and eventually Seattle.
  • Following right behind on Main 1, UP ES44AC No. 7393 leads the KG1LAC 24 west up Peru Hill.
  • The sun has peeked out behind the clouds and continues to lower in the western sky as UP ES44AC No. 8185 leads the MHKNPX 24 down Peru Hill on Main 2.
There's plenty more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 05:00
Author: ATSF5669

Nice shots John!  That's a part of the UP that has long interested me, in part because so few people venture out that far.  Looking forward to the next batch!

Date: 07/28/16 05:05

• Not too far behind the manifest, UP ES44AC No. 8011 leads the ZPDG2 24 east down Peru Hill on Main 2.
  • The sun has finally set in the western sky as a westbound hopper train climbs Peru Hill near James Town along WY-HWY 374.
  • Well after sunset, we decided to do some time exposures out by James Town in the same area where we were earlier. It's certainly a nice getaway from the city and people. It's peaceful...
There's more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 05:09

• Back in Green River, one of the yard jobs led by UP SD40N No. 1811 works a cut of cars in the yard.
  • A little while later, the LDR07 25 enters the yard at Green River with a train of covered hoppers/
  • After doing a quick crew change, UP ES44AC No. 7489 leads the ZG1SC 24 out of Green River for the last remainder of the trip to Salt Lake City along the Evanston Sub.
Some more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 05:12

• As the yard job works a cut of tank cars, a westbound vehicle train departs Green River west onto the Evanston Sub.
  • Later that morning, a westbound hopper train begins its climb up Peru Hill out of Green River with its named sake river in the foreground.
That's it for this trip and thanks for looking!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 07/28/16 05:47
Author: 3rdswitch

OUTSTANDING bunch! EXCELLENT outing!
JB

Date: 07/28/16 05:52
Author: oklachaser

Absolutely Outstanding photos!!

Ronda Thomas

Date: 07/28/16 06:08
Author: RGDave

WOW.  Nice work!  Love those wide open spaces.

~RGDave

Date: 07/28/16 06:42
Author: F40PHR231

One WOW right after another WOW! Great coverage, and thank you for sharing!

Date: 07/28/16 06:42
Author: Bob3985

John, you are one of the best photographers I have ever seen. I would love to meet you sometime for sure.
​We will be having our UPHS conventipn in Denver next July and I would love to have you do a program for us.
​Keep up the good work. I need a new camera.
​By the way a good friend of mine in Omaha told me that coal and auto loadings have increased to be prepared.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 06:46 by Bob3985.

Date: 07/28/16 06:50
Author: CPW548

In photo 9 I surveyed the bridge just in front of the power for replacement several years ago. I did a lot of surveying for bridge renewals in some pretty remote places east of Green River. Always scary when you get back out to I80 and the low fuel light comes on. Nice shots by the way.

Zach Green
Parker, Co

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/16 06:58
Author: bjackson30303

Sharptest, most dramatic set of pics in a while. Great job incorporating dramatic landscapes to really illustrate the scope of western railroading.  Photo 6 I believe:  Symbol MNPWWC - what is MNP to be sure and which train is it, the container train or the manifest?  I am not an insider on this kind of thing but work for a global freight forwarder.  We don't work with the RR's, just the major shipping companies.  Want to share that photo  internally with our non-US offices to show what a real train looks like,  if that is ok?

Date: 07/28/16 07:21
Author: upheritage6

NICE shots John! I haven't been farther west than Hermosa. Maybe one day I'll head out to Laramie.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/16 07:22
Author: billio

oklachaser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolutely Outstanding photos!!
>
Absolutely.

Date: 07/28/16 09:41
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for posting such a GREAT look at the Overland Route in Wyoming! 

Larry

Date: 07/28/16 10:40
Author: ShastaDaylight

Absolutely superb photography of a surprisingly scenic and interesting section of the historic Overland Route! (You need to take your talent up on the former SP Shasta Route!)

Thanks so much for sharing these, and all of your other fine photos!

Best wishes,

ShastaDaylight

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0704 seconds