Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ex-New Jersey Transit loco observed on BNSF in Kansas

Date: 08/16/16 16:47
Ex-New Jersey Transit loco observed on BNSF in Kansas
Author: JoCoLB

I made one of those unexpected rare catches today while hanging around at the north end of a new overpass next to the BNSF Railway's Logistics Park Kansas City intermodal center. (More on the new overpass later.)

Just a few hundred yards north of the intermodal center is the BNSF transcon double main. Suddenly coming into view from a distance was somewhat an unidentifiable locomotive in the No. 4 spot in the engine consist of a westbound manifest train. It was was a different looking color scheme in a freight consist, especially on the BNSF in Kansas.  This put the old guy in emergency mode. I had to find out more after clicking off one shot.

Since the train was moving through a MOW slow order, I was able to reposition myself in downtown Edgerton, Kan. , to get a better view and a couple of additional pictures. The rare engine certainly had a different color scheme than anything normally seen in Kansas. It bore No. 4129.

A fellow railfan later solved the mystery by identifying it as an ex-New Jersey Transit EMD F-40PH-2. The engine unit was recently sold by New Jersey Transit. I have no idea where it may be headed, however. Who knows, it may be going all the way to California?

I'm confident that this minor mystery will be quickly solved by the railfan detectives utilizing Trainorders.com

(Photos by Larry Byers, Gardner, KS)

Date: 08/16/16 18:14
Re: Ex-New Jersey Transit loco observed on BNSF in Kansas
Author: billio

A long way from Hoboken...

Date: 08/16/16 18:58
Author: callum_out

Probably to Alamosa on the San Luis & Rio Grande, Mr. Ellis seems to have an afinity for those locomotives.

Out

Date: 08/17/16 01:05
Author: The_Chief_Way

SL&RG does not have any of these as-built F40's yet that I know of. It may indeed be going to Alamosa
but those are the converted GP40's.

Date: 08/17/16 05:54
Author: rev66vette

Answered on eastern discussion board, purchased by Dieselmotive Inc of Walnut Creek, California....(they also have a facility in Turlock) 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/16 05:54 by rev66vette.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1205 seconds