Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crawford Hill Weekend: Working hard or hardly working?

Date: 08/24/16 16:17
Crawford Hill Weekend: Working hard or hardly working?
Author: wko

Last weekend, I spent a little over 24 hours at Crawford Hill in northwest Nebraska. Day 1 pix can be seen here and day 2 pix can be seen here

During the 2nd day, Saturday the 13th, I saw a flurry of activity, highlighted by a meet between a loaded coal train and a loaded grain train just up the hill from Breezy Point. The eastbound coal had BNSF 5724 and 9356 up front, BNSF 9618 and 9367 in the middle, and BNSF 9290 on the rear, while the westbound grain had BNSF 6534 on the front and BNSF 6782 and 7341 on the back. This is the 2nd time I've videoed a train in the 2x2x1 format on Crawford Hill, and the 1st one caught me by suprise as well. I posted the video last July.

While I'm aware the westbound grain was working hard at slowing down for the 20 mph curves, it's simply dwarfed by how hard the eastbound coal was working while climbing the hill. 

So sit back, turn up the speakers, and enjoy! This is railroading, in every sense, at it's finest!
​~wko

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/24/16 19:20
Re: Crawford Hill Weekend: Working hard or hardly working?
Author: ProAmtrak

Awesome video man, just awesome!

Date: 08/24/16 19:33
Author: up833

Loved it! Very well done.
Roger Beckett

Date: 08/24/16 21:11
Author: gjc

During our 3 day visit last year we didn't see any coal trains in the 2x2x1.  They were all 2x3 and 2x4.  We also didn't see any grain trains during our visit.  Nice video. Enjoyed it watching it.

George Cataulin
San Diego, CA
Left Coast Rail Videos

Date: 08/24/16 22:50

Thanks, ProAmtrak, Roger, and George, for the kind words!

George, there's only a couple trains that gets this treatment. According to this post ( click here ), it's only the trains that go to the CP in Ottumwa, IA, that get them, due to the hills in that area.
~wko

Date: 08/25/16 04:36
Author: jmbreitigan

Excellent video.

Date: 08/25/16 08:16
Author: ntharalson

wko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, ProAmtrak, Roger, and George, for the kind
> words!
>
> George, there's only a couple trains that gets
> this treatment. According to this post ( click
> here ), it's only the trains that go to the CP in
> Ottumwa, IA, that get them, due to the hills in
> that area.
> ~wko

I've been told by somene who knows, that these are the Muscatine trains for the
Muscatine Power and Water Plant and MidAmerican Energy's Fruitland plant nearby.
The configuration is to eliminate the use of helpers on Rutledge Hill, which starts 
right after a trains crosses the BNSF eastbound.  In the "good old days" before DPU,
these trains would be split in two and hauled up the hill in sections, or doubling the hill..
In addition to the road power, the Rutledge helpers would be pushing on the rear.  The
helpers were any combination of MP15/GP38-2/SD40-2 (the latter somewhat rare,) that
were in Ottumwa for that purpose.  Current CP management is trying to eliminate this
operation, although I cannot say what success they're having.  

Edit:  I should have watched this excellent video before I wrote the above.  This is a Muscatine
Power train, MPWX cars and will go to the CP at Ottumwa.  Notice no pushers on this train, just
the DPUs. 

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/16 08:23 by ntharalson.

Date: 08/25/16 09:44
Author: SCKP187

Excellent video and comparison on the grade---sweet sound of the EMDs.
Brian Stevens

Date: 08/25/16 12:35
Author: ns1000

I also enjoyed the video!!

Date: 08/26/16 20:29

Thanks for the continued kind words, everyone, and thanks Nick for the detailed info! I couldn't remember the specifics about Rutledge Hill, so now I've got a reference point.
~wko

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds