Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CN Markham Yard Operations Question

Date: 08/25/16 07:13
CN Markham Yard Operations Question
Author: inCHI

For a few weeks I've been looking at ATCS of CN's Chicago Sub, which includes Markham Yard. At the yard, it has Main 1, Main 2, T-fare 3, T-fare 4, 7 lead, and the yard itself. I expect the thoroughfares and the leads to have yard movements and traffic.

What I've noticed over time is that it seems like track around Markham yard is often just a single track main, and if so, I wonder about that in regards to getting 6 Amtrak trains plus freight around the yard. For example, right now (I assume) there is a freight that is slowly coming north up main one to cross over to main 2. Southbound Amtrak 391 is taking a hit waiting for it, probably at least 20 minutes. That is curious because sometimes it seems like Stuenkel to Homewood is (often) treated like single track, maybe because Main 3 is for yard moves and connecting movements at Matteson.

Then otherwise, It may not always be accurate, but I've also noticed that main 2 is often occupied by a standing train, making a single track railroad through the yard. Does anyone know if trains use that track to work the yard, or why that might be? Or is this information even accurate?

Date: 08/25/16 10:07
Re: CN Markham Yard Operations Question
Author: Englewood

It is probably accurate.  When a railroad lets the yardmasters ( or more likely those that supervise the
yardmasters ) call the shots the main track(s) become nothing but high ballasted yard / storage tracks.  
A sign of a dysfunctional operation.

I am more familiar with the Glenn Yard area.  After Metra paid for CTC on the Joliet Dist. in the early 00's,
the CN in practice operated it as single track from Justice to Rockwell.  A freight train or parts thereof was normally on MT 2 
adjacent to Glenn Yard.  If all the passenger trains were on time it worked.  If No 22 for example was late it
would become later sitting at Justice for a southbound passenger.

The same sloppiness showed in the main line operation south of Argo.  When the railroad was DT ABS the locals
had to clear the main for the passenger trains.  Once it became CTC the locals were allowed to hold the main everywhere.
I have seen some mornings where the inbound Metras had to go through just about every crossover because the opposite
main was occupied by a local.  It was a single track operation for through trains from Joliet to 45 Crossover.  I have seen
Amtrak 301 get 20+ minutes of delay at 45 Crossover waiting for Metra 18 to wiggle its way north.  

The lasting legacy of a Memphis car person.  This is the type of bandit that has its hand out to the taxpayer to fund
flyovers and other capacity improvements. As illustrated above when they have a capacity improvement such as 
CTC they immediately turn it into a capacity constraint.  Lets not forget all the BS associated with the IC's capacity improvement
project that single tracked the railroad from Markham to Memphis and from Jackson to Hammond.

Date: 08/25/16 10:31
Author: CN_Hogger

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Then otherwise, It may not always be accurate, but
> I've also noticed that main 2 is often occupied by
> a standing train, making a single track railroad
> through the yard. Does anyone know if trains use
> that track to work the yard, or why that might be?
> Or is this information even accurate?

Pretty accurate statement. This is part of my territory and Main 2 between Homewood and Harvey is more or less treated like a yard track for a majority of the time. In the scenerio your screen shot shows, it's most likely Q195 coming in on Main 1, headed to shove into the yard at Harvey off of Main 2(they especially like to do this to us when it's over 10,000ft.).They like to keep Mains 3 & 4 clear for movements to/from the connection at Swede(Matteson) to go to/from the former J.

CN_Hogger

Date: 08/25/16 11:32
Author: TAW

Englewood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is probably accurate.  When a railroad lets
> the yardmasters ( or more likely those that
> supervise the
> yardmasters ) call the shots the main track(s)
> become nothing but high ballasted yard / storage
> tracks.  
> A sign of a dysfunctional operation.
>
> I am more familiar with the Glenn Yard area.
>  After Metra paid for CTC on the Joliet Dist. in
> the early 00's,
> the CN in practice operated it as single track
> from Justice to Rockwell.  A freight train or
> parts thereof was normally on MT 2 
> adjacent to Glenn Yard.  If all the passenger
> trains were on time it worked.  If No 22 for
> example was late it
> would become later sitting at Justice for a
> southbound passenger.
>
> The same sloppiness showed in the main line
> operation south of Argo.  When the railroad was
> DT ABS the locals
> had to clear the main for the passenger trains.
>  Once it became CTC the locals were allowed to
> hold the main everywhere.
> I have seen some mornings where the inbound Metras
> had to go through just about every crossover
> because the opposite
> main was occupied by a local.  It was a single
> track operation for through trains from Joliet to
> 45 Crossover.  I have seen
> Amtrak 301 get 20+ minutes of delay at 45
> Crossover waiting for Metra 18 to wiggle its way
> north.  

This situation goes right along with the propensity of railroads to determine capacity requirements with (just/only) simulation modeling.

Simulation modeling is a great tool. I use it as needed. I know other respected experts who use it as needed.

However, capacity simulations often assume that trains get into the yard on arrival and leave when ready. Yard capacity is not considered, nor are yard operating practices. It is a carryover of the age old fight between train dispatchers and yardmasters (which was not allowed on B&OCT, IHB or [in my experience] BRC or we would never have moved anything). Yard is yard. We're main line. Yard is not our problem. (We're yard. Main line is not our problem).

Add that to the myth that CTC automatically increases capacity (and often allows removal of tracks) and this is what you get.

TAW

Date: 08/25/16 12:31

Interesting perspectives, as always - thanks for the accurate information and insights. Looks like 391 ended up losing 24 minutes waiting for the freight to clear, and more delays added up, making it 1 hour and 10 minutes late now,, not yet at Carbondale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/16 12:41 by inCHI.

Date: 08/25/16 18:51
Author: Seventyfive

15 years ago when a third main was being built around the B&OCT Barr Yard,
service designers in Jacksonville were excited, as they planned to use it for "main line block swaps."  
Yes, just why the extra main line was needed.  Fortunately word leaked out about the plan and competent
Company Leaders in the Chicago area nipped it in the bud.  Yes, miracles do happen, once in a great while.

As for the IC, it was fun dispatching the Terminal while it lasted; really enjoyed that desk.  
Nothing was parked on the main lines, ever.  Working with "Markham General" yardmaster
was a real pleasure, too.  All of that was last century, and things do change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/16 18:57 by Seventyfive.

Date: 08/25/16 20:03

As I've gone about my business for most of the day I've been able to check in on the traffic, and for most of the day since I made the post, Main 2 has been occupied with something that wasn't moving, like it is right now. The original reason I was wondering about it is sometimes I am near 31st St. and can catch a northbound, and for a bit, I kept thinking something on Main 2 could potentially head north. Now I know not to be fooled!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0726 seconds