Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More CO Questions

Date: 08/25/16 08:47
More CO Questions
Author: rbmn5022

I asked a few questions 2 weeks ago in preparation for a trip I'm going on soon to Colorado and vicinity and I had some more follow ups. Thanks for any info!

1.) Is there a particular consistent timeframe the BNSF Longmont Switch arrives and departs Fort Collins? Do they perform any work enroute?
2.) How does the whole interchange with the GWR work at Fort Collins? I've been listening to the Front Range Sub feed on RRRadio and it seems like they typically have 1-2 crews nearby in the mid-day?
3.) Have the new signals on the Joint Line got cut it yet? If not, are all the remaining signals searchlights?
4.) When does the Pikes Peak Local depart Denver/hit Palmer Lake on the days they go south?
5.) For the KYLE, it seems like the best bet to catch them would be to drive from Limon to Goodland and hope to intercept them? Is there any consistent UP activity on the Limon Sub?
6.) Lastly, are there any locals of interested around/between Colorado Springs/Pueblo?

Thanks again for any help! I'll be sure to post the results in a couple weeks.

Date: 08/25/16 10:26
Re: More CO Questions
Author: 3rdswitch

None of the newest signals on the Joint Line are in service but many were already replaced years ago so only SOME are still searclights and mostly on the exDRGW main two, eastern most line and used mostly for northbound trains.
​NORMALLY the BNSF Pikes Peak Local goes south out of Denver MON and THUR morning returning north TUES FRI. The return depends mainly on how early they get to Kelker, if they get there early enough to complete work, northbound departure TUES or FRI will be by 0800 hrs IF they get there late with no time to work northbound return will be afternoon or even the next day. On WED the Pikes Peak only goes to Big Lift (MP 15) and return. The BNSF Pikes Peak Local has no normal work between Castle Rock and Kelker, first siding south of Springs.
​I believe UP Limon turn runs daylight Denver to Limon TUES THURS so those days SHOULD be the best to catch KYLE in Limon.
JB

Date: 08/26/16 11:36
Author: SD45X

Fort Collins - usually before noon arrival and after noon departure. I've seen a 10am arrival before. Everything goes to north yard. That's where all the interchanging happens.

UP Colorado Springs switcher has a caboose in DRGW paint. Don't know what they do anymore.

Usually early am departure from Goodland on the Kyle both directions. If everything is back to normal. Enough work enroute can DOL them and a rescue crew will go after them. Thats why driving the route is the best bet. Bummer part is the trains usually run out of the sun. Always hard light. This is for the Limon train.
The Phillipsburg train trades with the eastbound halfway between Pburg and Goodland. I forget the siding name. Both crews get to be home every night.

Date: 08/26/16 15:08
Author: rbmn5022

Thank you both!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds