Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A different view of Tunnel 9 at Tehachapi

Date: 08/26/16 17:41
A different view of Tunnel 9 at Tehachapi
Author: 43197

Over the years I've taken many pictures, some stick in my mind and others quickly fade. However, on 24 August 2016, I think I took the image I'm most pleased with for many many years. The Tehachapi Loop on the Mojave sub-division in California has always been my number one photo location and through the fantastic assistance of Tehachapi pilot Ken Hetge I was able to record the route from Monolith to Caliente from the air at around 500ft. Obviously we were not able to control the trains, but thankfully they played ball and with some skilful flying by Ken I managed to get the near perfect pic of a southbound passing around the Tehachapi Loop with the locos passing over its own train at Tunnel 9. The train is a southbound Roseville to West Colton complete with mid-train DPUs.

Colin Marsden
Dawlish UK

Date: 08/26/16 18:24
Re: A different view of Tunnel 9 at Tehachapi
Author: Auburn_Ed

Also a pretty good view of the tunnel being by-passed (tunnel 10)?

Ed

Date: 08/26/16 22:32
Author: bearease

Fantastic timing with the head end on top of Tunnel 9!

What's going on there between the road and tracks at the entrance of the loop access road? Is that new, or have I been missing it in the last year or so?

Date: 08/26/16 22:36
Author: ProAmtrak

Awesome arial shot bro!

Date: 08/26/16 23:17
Author: atsf121

Fantastic!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/27/16 01:14
Author: exhaustED

Great composition. I think i have a publication or two of yours Colin...nice to see you on TO, there seems to be a fair sized UK contingent on here.

Date: 08/27/16 06:19
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE....!!

Date: 08/27/16 07:02
Author: ednadolski

bearease Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's going on there between the road and tracks
> at the entrance of the loop access road? Is that
> new, or have I been missing it in the last year or
> so?

When I was there last year, it had been gated off and there was a construction trailer plus equipment.

Ed

Date: 08/27/16 08:32
Author: rdlehmer

Probably the same office trailer that was down at Bealville when they were extending the sidings at Cliff and Rowen.

Ron

Date: 08/27/16 20:32
Author: HaggisKennedy

bearease Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fantastic timing with the head end on top of
> Tunnel 9!
>
> What's going on there between the road and tracks
> at the entrance of the loop access road? Is that
> new, or have I been missing it in the last year or
> so?

Are we talking Broome Rd there?  I was there this afternoon; I exited SR58 at the Broome Rd exit, and when I got there, there was a gate that said Private Property down the dirt road.  The gate was open, and the road shows open on Google Maps and my GPS, so I drove down it.  Passed that farm and the like, and where it hooked in to the Woodford-Tehachapi Road, there was a gate there as well; with the same signs.  And the gate was open.  Instead of turning back in, I just went down the road a bit to that wide spot where you can see the tunnel and parked there.  A sheriff's deputy drove by and I waved to him and he waved back.  Didn't chase me away or anything like that.

BTW, I also noted that the grade crossing on the road also said private RR crossing, no trespassing.  Not even a crossbuck, but just a crossbuck drawn on a white square sign, with a stop sign over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/16 20:33 by HaggisKennedy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds