Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cane Creek branch Potahs Local question

Date: 08/26/16 20:04
Cane Creek branch Potahs Local question
Author: CNW1989

Hi,

​does the Potash Local operate?   Still on Sundays?   When does it depart Grand Junction and when does it arrive/depart Potash?

greetings

CNW 1989

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 20:05 by CNW1989.

Date: 08/26/16 20:37
Re: Cane Creek branch Potahs Local question
Author: trb

Here are a couple of the more recent conversations that had tidbits about the Potash.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4087239,4087420#msg-4087420

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4093941,4093941#msg-4093941

As far as I can tell from scanner chatter and hearing passing trains, the Local still gets out to Fruita or Mack on Sunday mornings to meet Amtrak 6 (assuming it is close to on time). Then it heads west. How quick it makes the trip down and back depends on the amount of work at Brendel and Potash. If my camera time was correct on a mid April chase of the return trip, the local left Potash about 12:45 and was back at Brendel about 90+ minutes later.

Todd Busse

Date: 08/26/16 20:44
Re: Cane Creek branch Potahs Local question
Author: mpaul101

The potash local still operates. 
Runs Sunday mornings out of Grand Junciton under the symbol: LDG51 

There are also dirty dirt trains that run from Moab to Brendel throughout the week (not sure of their schedule). 
Under the symbol: LDP46 

Below is some info taken from an earlier thread, and I've actullay seen a few of these trains myself:
There are actually also still unit potash trains running off the branch heading to Minnesota. Commonly running under the symbol OPAYW (Potash, UT to Welcome, MN). They run about 70 cars. These unit trains have been running to MN for several years. Sometimes it goes to Welcome, as previous trains went to Clarks Grove. If I remember correctly, they run every 4-6 weeks in the spring and summer. The covered hoppers are old and rusty. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds