Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cascade Tunnel from Above

Date: 08/27/16 22:32
Cascade Tunnel from Above
Author: gsnyder

Hiked the Iron Goat Trail today and caught one going into the West portal of Cascade Tunnel from above.  In this case, 'above' is the Windy Point viewpoint on the trail with a view of the tunnel 600 to 800 feet below.

Date: 08/28/16 07:26
Re: Cascade Tunnel from Above
Author: mp51w

Hiking & train watching, a great combination!  Is the trail on some of the original pre-tunnel ROW?

Date: 08/28/16 08:13
Author: Auburn_Ed

Looks to be from Old Cascade Highway.  Old railbed is higher up at this point.  (edit):  after visiting the Iron Goat website, I see my mistake.  Another map I looked at wasn't nearly as accurate.  My bad.  It is the old right-of-way that the shot is from.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/16 17:07 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 08/28/16 09:41
Author: OCVarnes

For those interested, visit the Iron Goat Trail web site, Welcome to the Iron Goat Trail, at http://www.irongoat.org.

OCV

Date: 08/28/16 10:41

Nope, it's from the old rail line at Windy Point viewpoint.  The old Cascade highway is far below  (and can be seen going over the West Portal of the tunnel).

Date: 08/28/16 10:46

Indeed it is on the pre-1929 right of way.  The trail follows the old line from the west portal of the original Cascade Tunnel down to Martin Creek then loops back from Martin Creek to Scenic.  Trailheads at Wellington, Scenic, and Martin Creek.  There is also a relatively new spur from Martin Creek down the valley, across the creek, then up to where the Horseshoe Tunnel once stood (it is all completely collapsed).  Easy hiking (a bit of a huff and puff on the crossover trail from Scenic directly up to Windy Point) and you can make the hike/walk as long as you want.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds