Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Rescue Mission shot

Date: 08/28/16 08:04
The Rescue Mission shot
Author: santafe199

A few years ago I remember overhearing a now totally forgotten railfan talking about getting a shot of a train at night shooting over the top of the Topeka Rescue Mission, while getting their fully lit neon sign in frame. Until I acquired my Nikon D7100 the shot really wasn’t possible without getting an unacceptable amount of noise, something we used to call ‘grain’ in the slide film days. But this camera is amazing. For this shot I bumped the ISO up to 3200 and was able to get a stop-action image without undue noise or saturation from the neon sign.

This certainly isn’t any calendar quality shot. But shooting with a high ISO allowed me to “get the shot”. And my 7100’s ISO capability has already captured some recognition, for which I continue to be grateful to the TO gang: ( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4097534 ). The fact that shots like these are now even possible opens up an infinite number of doors to more shooting opportunities. This grand hobby called railfanning is all about having fun, a sentiment I’ve embraced for over 40 years. And that fun factor just went up. Like an ancient radio music jockey once coined: “And the hits jes’ keep on coming!

1. UP 7490 crosses N Kansas Avenue @ 30 MPH with an eastbound train at 10:19 PM on August 12, 2016.
Taken from the NE Curtis Flyoff just north of the Kansas River in Topeka, KS.

Thanks for the idea!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/16 08:07 by santafe199.

Date: 08/28/16 08:18
Re: The Rescue Mission shot
Author: millerdc

Wow; appropriate posted on a Sunday.

Date: 08/28/16 08:19
Author: YukonYeti

Very impressive.... Despite the high ISO, your "noise" is so low, I think I'm "deaf."  Again, a truly special image..

YY

Date: 08/28/16 08:39
Author: Johnl26

Great shot in so many ways! God bless the Rescue Mission.

Date: 08/28/16 13:29
Author: BobP

I didn't know any of those signs still existed. All over the place back in another era.

Date: 08/28/16 14:24
Author: MEKoch

"But Moses Invests......."

Date: 08/28/16 23:16
Author: Lairport

A similar black and white neon sign seen from the Centralia WA station and from trains stopped there used to flash Jesus and then Saves.
I think the sign was removed many years ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds