Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A "Snootful"

Date: 08/28/16 14:24
A "Snootful"
Author: ns2557

Had the opportunity to pass thru the Pryor Ok area on the 25th. Here along US69 just south of Pryor, the UP has a small yard. It seems as if I usually find a few units here each time I pass by, and this trip was no different.  There were a total of 6 units here today. 2 UP GP60's, the 2017 & 1942; 2 UP GP40-2's, the 1482 & 1411, and UP SD70M 4034 and this one UP SD40N 1724. 

The 1724 was one of the original "Snoots", those with the longer short hood "nose" that is. Def a different look for one who was quite familiar with the standard length nose on the SD40/SD40-2 units. This is ex UP 3276  It just missed being part of the "Fast Forties" of the UP at that time.  But it had the longer 116" nose.   Built on order 73661 and it was the -34 from 7-74.

Once again, I like seeing these older units still kicking.  I'm getting used to the "new" wide nose's, but still seek out the old standard cab units where I can find em.  And once again, I never thought I'd be saying that way back when.   Taken in Pryor Ok on 8-25-2016   TFL,  Ben

Date: 08/28/16 16:46
Re: A "Snootful"
Author: santafe199

ns2557 Wrote: > ...  never thought I'd be saying that way back when ...
Some time 'down the road' there will be an old railfan saying the same thing about the brand new power shown & mentioned elsewhere in today's threads.
(I wonder if that railfan has even been born yet... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 08/28/16 18:36
Author: irhoghead

Sure seems like our "way back when" power had individuality and personality. Look at the Tunnel Motors, snoots, flared radiators, four and six axle models, etc. Today's power has a bland, lack of of enthusiasm, at least in my book. Wide nose units don't really seem all that different from each other, and they seem to get just a tad bit uglier with each new model.

Date: 08/29/16 05:37
Author: ns2557

irhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure seems like our "way back when" power had
> individuality and personality. Look at the Tunnel
> Motors, snoots, flared radiators, four and six
> axle models, etc. Today's power has a bland, lack
> of of enthusiasm, at least in my book. Wide nose
> units don't really seem all that different from
> each other, and they seem to get just a tad bit
> uglier with each new model.

Couldn't agree with ya more.   Ben

Date: 08/29/16 07:29
Author: alto_towerbob

In 30 years the next generation of railfans will cheer the rare appearance of, and extoll the virtues of the classic lines of today's GEVOs and Tier 4s when compared to the ugly, uninspiring Tier 24 euro-sausages they see every day...  Good times, good times!!...

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds