Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Shasta Route Action Follow Up

Date: 08/28/16 15:42
Shasta Route Action Follow Up
Author: Amtrakdavis22

Last week, I wrote a post about getting stuck my truck stuck near the Dry Creek Trestle. If you missed that story, you can read it here.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4103146,4103146#4103146

Besides getting stuck, it was actually a pretty good weekend on Shasta. Even though work windows created large gaps in the action, I was able to find enough trains to keep me busy. 

Photo 1) A Herzog ballast train bound for Kegg passes travels along the Sacramento River near Delta. This train would spend much of the following day dumping rock near Kegg. Does anyone know the tunnel number in this shot? (July 22nd, 2016)

Photo 2) The Herzog train winds its way through Lamoine. 

Photo 3) This train had a unique build running 3x2. The DPUs were cut in near the rear of the train, with only 10 or 15 cars trailing. 

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Re: Shasta Route Action Follow Up

Photo 4) After running into Ryan Wilkerson by happen stance at Dunsmuir, we headed north to catch the ZLCBR. 

Photo 5) On July 23rd, the Coast Starlight was running a couple hours late. Here it crosses the Dry Creek Trestle near Hotlum. 

Photo 6) The following day, I headed up towards O'Brien to catch the southbound QPWRV. I decided I would chase it back towards Chico. In this photo, the UP 2568 passes the new signals installed at O'Brien. I remember coming up here to shoot searchlights, but unfortuantely all the searchlights are gone now. 

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/16 15:50 by Amtrakdavis22.

Photo 7) The QPWRV rolls past the Redding Amtrak Station. 

Photo 8) The train is now descending Hooker Hill as it approaches Red Bluff. 

Hope you enjoy!

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/16 15:51 by Amtrakdavis22.

Date: 08/28/16 16:22
Author: portlander

Awesome shot at Delta. I don't think I've ever seen a pic of a train between tunnels 11 and 12.

In the last picture, the train is coming down Blue Tent. Hooker hill is one mound to the north.

Date: 08/28/16 18:29
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice work. Photo 5 of the Amtrak train is a beauty.
John

Date: 08/28/16 19:58
Author: SPB

All nice and interesting shots.  Cool photo of the three UP units in Redding.  Maybe Amtrak will want your Starlight photo?

Gerry

Date: 08/29/16 09:17
Author: dmaffei

Nice photos. The Amtrack shot at the big bridge is great. The road to that location is a real bear, but paid off for you. Thanks for posting
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/16 11:56 by dmaffei.

Date: 08/29/16 12:43
Author: mcfflyer

Really great series up in the north state!  Sorry you got your truck stuck, but so lucky you had friends to come to the rescue!  I went to high school in Redding, and I had to really look at that photo to identify where it was!  Sure a lot different than 1969!  (For one thing, that second track was still a CTC controlled siding in regular use!)

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 08/29/16 13:05
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds