Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UTAH railway MK5000 and trains

Date: 08/28/16 20:45
UTAH railway MK5000 and trains
Author: CNW1989

Where does UTAH bring their trains in Martin/Helper to? Saw a long mixed train stalled without power in Martin today. Had a lot of tank cars and hoppers? Behind Martin I saw a phantastic trestle some years ago. Do they still run trains there? Which jobs the do with their MK50 and SD50 on the Soldier summit. In a former post was a message that the run a coal train but I dont know the mine/branch and thr days when it runs.
Thanks for help.
Greetings
Cnw 1989

Posted from Android

Date: 08/28/16 21:58
Re: UTAH railway MK5000 and trains
Author: SF5953

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad new for the most part here. But with the decline of coal the Utah has really cut back coal operations. The Utah currently is running one coal train a week on Monday's using Union Pacific power on the head end. It loads at CV Spur by Wellington, Utah. This is on the UP main (Rio Grande). Utah Railway helper a added mid train and and run all the way to Provo. They return with a manifest mainly tank cars I don't know when this train runs. I haven't see photographic evidence so I assume it's usually at night. As far as the Utah Railway track age east of Martin everything is shut down currently. The Wildcat is shut down but could be reopen if ever needed. As far a the big trestle Gordan Creek the two coal mine it served shut down over 20 years ago Hiawatha and Wattis. After that a few sporadic trains ventured over it hauling sand for oil wells. It is now probably permanently abandon as of about 5 years ago when the trestle burned destroying the ties. The last train I saw that would of used it was were when they first got the MK's before they received Utah paint. Things are pretty depressing these day's for the Utah in the canyon. 2 of the Austrian SD50 are out of service shoved off to the side at Martin.

Date: 08/29/16 18:11
Re: UTAH railway MK5000 and trains
Author: mpaul101

The mixed train you saw was the HUTAHJ. It runs 1-2xs per week. Usually in the afternooons. I have never seen it run at night. 
Wildcat is still open, it's a loading area for acid and oil tankers, but no longer coal. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds