Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > One of those touring BNSF special trains

Date: 08/29/16 17:38
One of those touring BNSF special trains
Author: JoCoLB

Not having any factual background information, I really can't provide details on this 3-car BNSF special today on Track Two of the Emporia Sub. at Olathe, Kan. I surmise it is a combination two-car manned track geometry set with a rear track inspection theater car. Correct me if I'm totally off base. True officer specials usually have more cars.

The so-called special came through Olathe while a tie gang was busy replacing ties on Main One. 

(Video by Larry Byers)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/16 19:47 by JoCoLB.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/29/16 19:41
Re: One of those touring BNSF special trains
Author: czephyr17

The last two cars are the standard track geometry train that has been running around for years (one of three BNSF operates systemwide).  The last car with the theatre seating is where the computers, operators, and local maintenance of way people review data and observe actual conditions out the rear windo.  I believe the first car ("NX Track") is a new technology geometry car, not sure why it is in the train, but perhaps for testing the new technology, or training, or some such.  

Date: 08/29/16 19:45
Author: JoCoLB

Thanks, sir. I needed some validation of my speculation. 

Date: 08/30/16 06:08
Author: BigDave

"NX Track" = "Michael D. Harding". Name mean anything to anyone?

Date: 08/30/16 07:03
Author: rww

Mike Harding was general foreman of the BNSF Business Car Shop for many years (Santa Fe before that) before he reitred a few years back.  A great professional who is an insoiration to all that know him.

rww

Date: 08/30/16 15:41
Author: MP555

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0311 seconds