Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > .

Date: 09/18/16 21:49
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/21 16:15 by F40PHR231.

Date: 09/18/16 22:02
Re: Transcon's Umbria Jct. and Lucin Cutoff
Author: RyanWilkerson

Excellent view Chris. Perfect time of day to highlight your topic.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 09/19/16 04:13
Author: donstrack

The hill at the left edge in Chris' photo was the home of a couple mines or quarries at Lucin, as well as others in the vicinity. They were active before the changes in 1903 and after. Providing access made for some interesting track work, including a double wye. It appears that there were at least three separate loadouts.

Here is a cropped portion from a 1943 aerial photo. Looking at Google reveals that it hasn't changed much. Some of the spur tracks are still there.

Don Strack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/16 04:17 by donstrack.

Date: 09/19/16 09:05
Author: railstiesballast

Wow, I was Roadmaster there and did not fully understand the old embankments, thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/19/16 10:04
Author: callum_out

So was the wye on what was the old like over the hill? Interesting since it lasted until 1940 on the East
side though no longer a through route.

Out

Date: 09/19/16 13:30
Author: railstiesballast

It was a through route, a back-up, until the strategic need for scrap steel overcame the strategic need for the alternate route.
Even after the tracks were removed they kept the ownership of the right of way.
Life on the Great Salt Lake is tenuous, as we learned in the mid-1980s.

Date: 09/19/16 17:01
Author: JLY

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a through route, a back-up, until the
> strategic need for scrap steel overcame the
> strategic need for the alternate route.
> Even after the tracks were removed they kept the
> ownership of the right of way.
> Life on the Great Salt Lake is tenuous, as we
> learned in the mid-1980s.

Really

Date: 09/21/16 14:27
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

I guess I'm a little confused.  In the black and white aerial photo, it looks like there's the remnants of a wye at the hamlet of Lucin.  I presume this was placed there later when the "direct" line (shown in the color photo) was eliminated, causing trains to be routed via Lucin before starting their journey around the lake?  Why didn't they just keep the direct line?

It also appears like there's the remant of another wye near where the line coming up from Lucin joins the alignment of the original line that went around the lake. I presume that was there before there was any thought of building the line across the lake?  Was that the location of "old" Lucin or did that location have another name?  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1618 seconds