Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Minor Derailment Brooklyn Sub Delaying Amtrak This Afternoon

Date: 09/23/16 16:06
Minor Derailment Brooklyn Sub Delaying Amtrak This Afternoon
Author: MarionLinn

At 4 p.m. Friday, a UP 98-car northbound empty grain train stopped just south of Brooks with one pair of wheels derailed has the north end of the Brooklyn Subdivision sewed up.  No. 11 with two PVs on the rear is holding at Oregon City station; No. 14 with PV NYC 3 is stopped at Salem station awaiting open track.  No. 508, northbound Cascades, should be just getting underway at Eugene and probably will catch up to 14 before this is over.  The grain train was struck by a fast-moving westbound pickup truck at the Blossom Drive grade crossing, a quarter-mile north of the Interstate 5 overhead at the north end of Salem.  The impact caused one pair of wheels to derail and they marked ties as the train continued north, the crew unaware that the pickup had plowed into the moving train.  The pickup driver was not seriously injured.  His truck was dragged by the train over the crossing gate in the northeast quadrant of the intersection,leaving it askew.

UPDATE:  The pickup struck the 17th car from the headend.  By the time the train set off the dragging equipment detector at MP 725.2, the entire trailing truck of the 17th car was on the ground.  The derailed car passed over the Perkins Street and Quinaby Road crossings south of Brooks.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 16:46 by MarionLinn.

Date: 09/23/16 18:32
Re: Minor Derailment Brooklyn Sub Delaying Amtrak This Afternoon
Author: Coalca

Thx for this. I seen Amtrak 11 sitting in Oregon City today, 3 hours late. 

Date: 09/23/16 21:36
Author: bbcc

On Monday this week number 11 and number 14 also 508 delayed several hours when no-fitter HKRV had brake troubles near Kito. UP sent out a carman who took at least two hours to get there plus another two hours to get the train moving. Several passengers on Amtrk 14 didnt seem to get it and did nothing but badmouth Amtrak.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/23/16 22:09
Author: irhoghead

I was on 14 this past Monday when we were held up for hours by the UP freight issue. The conductor did a very professional job in keeping us informed with whatever information he was provided about the delay. There were passengers who were grumbling about the hours long delay, as is to be expected. What gets me, though, is that we were a mostly on time train up to that point, yet various passengers were still complaining about this and that, including "how slow the train is". One guy said that he'd never take the train again because the average speed was only something like 37 MPH when he could be doing double that on the highway.I guess he couldn't have figured that out before he bought his ticket. So many Americans are just whining cry babies anymore. It's all about me. I want it now. Blah, blah blah.

Date: 09/23/16 22:18
Author: EMDSW-1

bbcc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On Monday this week number 11 and number 14 also
> 508 delayed several hours when no-fitter HKRV had
> brake troubles near Kito. UP sent out a carman who
> took at least two hours to get there plus another
> two hours to get the train moving. Several
> passengers on Amtrk 14 didnt seem to get it and
> did nothing but badmouth Amtrak.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Make that HITO...short for "HIll TOp" the summit south of Canby and north of Woodburn!

Dick Samuels

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds