Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP on Willamette Pass

Date: 09/25/16 00:08
UP on Willamette Pass
Author: nomosantafe

I travelled to Klamath Falls a week ago to attend a wedding.  I drove back home to Portland to attend the American Freedom Train banquet on Sunday evening.

I was a little tight on time, so I did not have a lot of time for foaming.  I stopped at the bridge over highway 58 at Heather and took a few photos of how things have changed over the years.  It's been more than 25 years since I have spent any time photographing the Cascade line. 

The scanner between Wicopee and Fields went off tipping me off to an approaching train, so I waited about 15 minutes and a Eugene bound train appeared.  I got a shot of it crossing the river and the highway.  Most of the train is hidden by trees that have grown up over the last 40 years.  I have included a shot from 1976 showing the differences.

1.  RR bridge over the river and highway 58
2.  Downhill WB  (used to be EB when it was SP) train on the brudge
3.  Uphill WB (geographical EB) train in April 1976

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
" Pacific Wonderland"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/16 00:10 by nomosantafe.

Date: 09/25/16 00:23
UP on Willamette Pass part 2

I drove down the hill to Warner Creek road and shot the train there.  This shot hasn't changed in 40+ years

Here's 2 at Warner Creek

Date: 09/25/16 12:26
Re: UP on Willamette Pass
Author: P

I was out that way last month and passed under that bridge a few times.  I don't remember the pull-off area though.  I guess I was also short on time and otherwise preoccupied.  

After traveling all over that area for over a week, I saw exactly one freight and one Amtrak on the line from Eugene south into Ca.  The freight I saw was stopped near Dorris, CA.  I was disappointed in the apparent dearth of traffic - but the area is beautiful.  No question.

thanks for posting.  

Date: 09/25/16 13:59
Author: Orient

Ahem.... drone! =)

Date: 09/25/16 15:14
Author: coosbaytoday

Nice shots, Randy.
Todd M.

Date: 09/25/16 17:58
Author: upkpfan

I'm sorry but I don't think you could have gotten a shot of UP 8984 back in 1976. upkpfan

Date: 09/25/16 19:31

upkpfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sorry but I don't think you could have gotten
> a shot of UP 8984 back in 1976. upkpfan

It was taken last Sunday 9/18/16.

The shot with the SP train was in 1976

Nomo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds