Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tobin Fire

Date: 09/26/16 12:35
Tobin Fire
Author: Amtrakdavis22

The Forest Service is reporting a fire burning in Plumas National Forest near Tobin (Feather River Canyon). Unknown on its proximity or affect on the railroad at this point. If it becomes a large scale incident, Highway 70 could potentially close as well as the UP Canyon Subdivision. Check back for more. 

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 09/26/16 13:27
Re: Tobin Fire
Author: ross

It's moving hard right now. Very Large Air Tanker (DC10) ordered. Will be painting the ridge line. Large Air Tankers should be filling out of Chico? and Single Engine Air Tankers out of Chester? Likely will go into extended attack. No reports of any train impingement yet. Will update when new info becomes available.

Date: 09/26/16 13:58
Author: DaveL

VLATs for Plumas County load at Beal AFB.

DaveL in Greenville

Date: 09/26/16 16:25
Author: stevelv

Here is  all I can find on the Tobin fire.  http://www.actionnewsnow.com/news/30-acre-forest-fire-burning-in-storrie/
Also there is another one that broke out south of the Sierra RR territory.  http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sierra/150acre-wildfire-prompts-evacuations-in-tuolumne-county/41838704

Date: 09/26/16 16:34
Author: icancmp193

DaveL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VLATs for Plumas County load at Beal AFB.
>
> DaveL in Greenville

Actually I thought it was Maclellan that is all set up for them.

Tom Y

Date: 09/26/16 17:09

Ironically, I am involved with a Federal grant to restore Tobin's fire flow water system that was destroyed in the 2008 fire (the community drilled a well for drinking water after the fire). The new fire is burning just west of the creek that supplies this system (which is on the north side of the Feather River).

Tom Y

Date: 09/26/16 17:42
Author: railstiesballast

About 1050 I saw a small fire in the Feather River Cyn from a northbound airliner, it was in an area with a switchback road going up the north side of the canyon.
It was so small I suspect it was unrelated. 

Date: 09/26/16 17:52

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About 1050 I saw a small fire in the Feather River
> Cyn from a northbound airliner, it was in an area
> with a switchback road going up the north side of
> the canyon.
> It was so small I suspect it was unrelated. 

The time and location jive exactly with the USFS report.

Tom Y

Date: 09/26/16 21:03
Author: railstiesballast

Then it blew up after that time.
When I saw it the smoke column was thin and straight up.
(sorry, no picture)

Date: 09/27/16 09:15
Author: TCnR

This morning's edition from InciWeb:

Incident Overview

The Tobin Fire is 375 acres and holding at Tobin Ridge. Fire activity will continue to spread eastward laterally and have uphill runs due to slope. Containment efforts are being hampered by steep, rugged terrain. Objective is to keep the fire north of Hwy 70, south of Tobin Rd., west of Jackass Creek and east of Rock Creek. Air support will resume at 8am today. 274 personnel are assigned. A Type 2 Incident Management Team has been requested.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5043/

Heard a lot of discussion on the Chico, Canyon and Gateway Radios yesterday evening. Sounds like they may have held traffic but there's all sorts of MoW action going on these days as well.

The recent weather pattern has been warm dry air heading towards the ocean, so everybody has been on edge with a number of fires in the general Northern California area. Pretty much normal pattern, for example the big Oakland fire was just before Haloween.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/16 10:06 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.454 seconds