Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Weight of SP bay window caboose trucks

Date: 09/27/16 16:00
Weight of SP bay window caboose trucks
Author: MojaveBill

The Mojave Chamber of Commerce caboose, currently in storage, will be relocated to a lot in downtown Mojave soon.
As part of the planning process we need to know the weight of the car - minus trucks!
The car is a C30 bay window. Total weight of the car is listed as 48,000 lbs on the side of the car - we need to deduct the truck weight.
Any info will be appreciated! I looked in the Car Builder's Cyclopedia, etc., to no avail.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/27/16 16:08
Re: Weight of SP bay window caboose trucks
Author: funnelfan

I've been told that a complete truck with wheels weighs three tons, but I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/27/16 16:37
Author: czuleget

I think you are close to the weight we had several flat cars we turned into bridges in Sacramento for Teichert and the wheels were around 2000 lbs. each and the truck frames were close to that.

Date: 09/27/16 20:27
Author: 567Chant

I passed through Mojave three weeks ago; I wondered about the status of the missing caboose.
...Lorenzo

Date: 09/27/16 21:01
Author: MojaveBill

It's safely stored and Golden Queen Mining donated a lot at Panamint and K where it will be the centerpiece of a new visitor's center!
Thanks to everyone!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/27/16 21:42
Author: ln844south

Shipped a pair of swing motion caboose trucks to Chelatchie Washington. The combined weight of the pair was close to 19,000 lbs. 9 1/2 tons.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.031 seconds