Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Circus Train on the Moffat and in to Denver

Date: 09/28/16 11:10
Circus Train on the Moffat and in to Denver
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Hello-

Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey's Blue circus train descended in to Denver on UP's Moffat Tunnel Sub early this morning. The train came through the Moffat Tunnel shortly before 7am. By the time it reached Plain, along the front range, the sun was shining brightly without a cloud in the sky!

The train did have to stop for about 20 minutes just east of Crescent in order to "reset some fire alarms". Assuming some passengers may have had a startling early morning wakeup call.

The train took the siding at Rocky, about 18 miles west of Denver, to meet an ontime westbound California Zephyr. After the meet, it was clear signals in to town. The circus opens here in Denver on Friday.

===============

1. On a beautiful, crystal clear Colorado morning, the eastbound circus train descends down the main at Plain on its way into Denver. UP found some very nice power for the "Blue Train" for its trip from Salt Lake City (where the show closed two days earlier) to Denver (where the show opens the in two days).

2. A long lens shot from CO-72 finds the circus train rounding Big Ten Curve as it descends toward Rocky. A lot of foliage has grown around (and in) the hoppers that sit on the inside of the curve up on Big Ten.

3. Shortly after the previous shot, the circus train pulls through Little Ten Curve as it approaches a red signal on the siding at the east end of Rocky. The Zephyr was about ten minutes to the east on the approach to Leyden.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/16 11:16 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 09/28/16 11:10
Re: Circus Train on the Moffat
Author: ColoradoRailfan

4. Moving along at track speed, the circus train heads into the rising sun on the main at Leyden. UP found some very nice power to put on the train for the journey east from Salt Lake City to Denver.

=============

Thanks for looking! These and a few more shots are on my website for anyone interested.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 09/28/16 12:13
Author: GrandeGold

Not fair! Your scenery is better. Great photos, Kevin. Glad you guys were able to catch it. Incredible train, ain't it?

Posted from iPhone

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 09/28/16 12:18
Author: Utah5005

I will echo what James said on the scenery! Great photos!

Posted from iPhone

Spencer Peterson
Payson, UT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/16 12:18 by Utah5005.

Date: 09/28/16 12:34
Re: Circus Train on the Moffat and in to Denver
Author: SP8595

The crossing at Plainview was the place to be! Great series Kevin!
I tried shooting the train going around the Little Ten curve from the East switch at Rocky but my lens wasn't near long enough. You must have the "big guns":}

Date: 09/28/16 13:10
Author: highgreengraphics

Great job - Plainview IS nice. Longer drive for me, I elected not to go; Heritage leader, I would have camped overnight! === === = === JLH

Date: 09/28/16 15:07
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice series of photos, Kevin!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 09/28/16 16:53
Author: SP2541

Very nice work. Not the same without the elephant cars.

Date: 09/28/16 17:40
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Posted from Android

Date: 09/28/16 19:56
Author: Notch8

As always Kevin great pictures of the Moffat and the train, well done.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds